Problem with Philips 890

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kangaroo, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought a Philips 890 DVD recorder and am having some problems with recording. I need help to see if its me doing anything wrong or if I have a faulty unit.

Problem 1) I individually copied 5 episodes of The Office from Sky+ onto a DVD+R disk as separate titles. I have not finalised the disk yet. I have given the first 4 titles the relevant names. When I have gone back into the screen to give the 5th episode a new name, I try to scroll down the screen to reach the second screen (1st screen shows first 3 titles). When the 4th episode is highlighted, it highlights for a second before jumping back to the 1st title. It is not letting me get to the 5th title. I have tried this numerous times thinking I was pressing the down arrown on the remote too many times, but I am not. I have Titles 1 - 3 recorded in SP+ and 4 & 5 in LP.

Problem 2) I copied a movie onto a DVD+RW disk and added 3 chapters, 1 visable and 2 hidden. When I select the title on the menu, it will not let me get into it by either pressing OK or the play button.

Anyone think it is my new box or am I going crazy.

If I have to call Philips for tech support, what is the best number to use in the UK?

Thanks for any help. I had a hard time convincing my wife it was a good idea to get a DVD writer and now I look stupid.

Thanks.
    Kenny

2. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Your first problem is because you can't mix recording qualities on the same disc. If you start a disc with SP+ then you have to use SP+ for the whole of the disc. With that +R disc you're screwed I'm afraid. With a +RW disc you have to wipe the entire disc if you want to start again with a different recording quality.

Problem 2 I can't help you with. Haven't really played around with editing at all on my 890. I suggest you also post a question on the DVDPlusRW.org forum. There's loads of DVDR owners there who should be able to help you out.

Michael.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I took delivery of my890 yesterday and was happily recording mixed quality on the same +RW disc.

4. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To be honest I've never tried it but I was pretty sure that it couldn't be done. If you've done it then I guess I was wrong about that :blush:

The only other bit of advice I can offer is that the 890 (and other Philips DVDR machines) seem to be very sensitive to the type and quality of media used in them. Cheapo unbranded +RW discs have caused lots of people problems. Allthough they're expensive, I've only used Philips own +RW discs so far.

Michael.

5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan, did you use the front screen to rename all the titles with no problems? How many titles did you put on the disk?

Cheers.
    Kenny

6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Michael, I have only used Philips-branded disks so far so they should be okay.

Cheers,
    Kenny

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You must remember I only set this up at 8pm last night, and I have been at work since 8am this morning.

Last night I recorded Fawlty Towers using SP+. I let it run for one hour. This morning I divided the recording and deleted the unwanted half an hour. This morning I left it recording (GMTV!!!) for two hours using LP mode. Everything seems to be OK. Can't remeber whether I tried it in my Pioneer 545 for playback.

8. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have owned DVD+RW for nearly 6 months and constantly mix recording mode's on a disc no problem at all you can mix recording modes but you can't mix pal and ntsc recording's on the same disc.

9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's sorted now. I returned it to where I bought it and received a replacement unit. Tried this and all works as expected. Down to a fualty unit in the end :mad: