1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Panny 5 and Sony Video!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NeilMcRae, Dec 12, 2002.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it possible to convert composite to Svideo? I have hooked up my system mostly completely now:

1: VGA<-Plasma-VGA<-DVD player
    2: Component<-switcher<-PS2/Xbox/GC
    3:S-video<-RGB2Svideo<-Cable box

Problem is my video recorder only outputs composite - anyone got any [cheap] ideas about hooking this up?

Neil.
    [beginning to wish he'd bought the tuner box :)]

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can buy devices to do this, but unless there's abunch of electronics to clean up the signal, making it expensive, you're better off leaving your very fine plasma to do it for you. I should think the cheapest worthwhile device is the Pro-v, £100 or so after arguing a bit. Of course, £600 for an iscan pro would be better. Any 'cheap' converter box is not going to help, the data just isn't there. They're only doing what the internal circuitry on the panny is already doing, and Panasonic do a moderately good job on that, so not so easy to improve. Better video quality from a SVHS recorder would be cheaper than the iscan I think!!! You get RGB and S-Video out then.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Neil

Most of the 'usual suspects' for electronic components now provide very low cost barrel adapter type connectors that input Composite video on RCA phono and then output on a 4-Pin mini din S-Video connector - there's no picture quality improvement at work here just a simple passive signal split; with hopefully very little if any signal degradation.

Cost for one of these is sub £20.00 and once connected into your system lets you switch your VCR via an AV amp with S-video switching.

Best regards

Joe

4. clam

clam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Joe stated those simple converters are available, and cheap. I've got one that cost me £6.99 !!
    Like he says, theres no quality enhancement but for me it was all I needed, I have Sky+ so record onto VCR only 2 or 3 times a year in emergencies, also my analouge signal is pants so the other time I need the video to watch BBC local news then the picture is allready poor from the arieal.
    For £6.99 it's gotta be worth getting one to try, even if you throw it away !