1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Panasonic PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by panasonic6, Oct 17, 2003.

1. panasonic6

panasonic6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

As you can guess im net to this forum so hi to you all,

This is the problem im getting.

Equipment used:

Panasonic PW6 plasma screen
    NTL digi Box
    Panasonic DRM e50 dvd recorder
    with qed scart leads.....very nice

Anyway here goes.

It mainly happens when im watching the ntl digi box.

What happens is that anything with a high brightness, usually skin tones i can notice like a barding effect moving across the effected area at an angle of around 80 degrees usually going from left to right or right to left not up and down.

ANY IDEAS please, the screen is 1 week old and if its a common thing with them and ive got to live with it so be it or can be tweaked a little to relieve the symptoms.
    If not its going right back to them, have they got an onsite warranty?

Many thanks all replys much apreciated.

Mark Wyke

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have smth similar as well. I fed it thru scart (QED and Tech+Link) cables. But I had it on both SKY and DVD, which led me to believe it's interference. It's difficult to imagine that QED scart will be subject to interference so I thought it was the panel.

I don't see it that much now that I moved my plasma about 3ft away from the other stuff. In fact it I don't remember seeing it at all recently (too busy looking for colour banding). Will try and look from up close

I'll also connect PC on weekend to see it's not just the scart board. Suggest you do the same.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's more likely electric interference, not on the scart cable but within the sources. Check your plugs, sockets and earths - banding is usually dodgy earth. If everything is powered through an Argos 3.99 4-gang then that's your answer ;)

4. panasonic6

panasonic6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam you may have the answer silly me, I have not got one of those silly cheap argos 4 gangs but ive got a silly cheap argos 4 in 1 plug, do you think that could be the problem, What i will do is change the buggers for proper plugs, whats the best 6 gang to use and the best plugs now ive bloody chopped them off, they were all allright on my 29 inch philips crt but i have to admit it would be better with a seperate plug for each and a much improved way of plugging them in.

many thanks

Mark

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You could try the following (bit expensive, but probs worth it for decent AV kit and a plasma) - adds RFI and surge protection too...

http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk

JJ

6. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm that looks interesting JJ.. the 8 socket one appeals to me.

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Meant to be quite good...I had a friend who bought one of these after an electrical fault knacked the power supplies on his plasma, AV amp and DVD player :suicide: :suicide:

Dont think £80 is that bad to improve mains quality (even if it is only a bit) and protect the approx 5k worth of kit most plasma owners have!!!

Seriously thinking of getting one for when the plaz arrives...

JJ

8. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, well as i'm about to pre-order a Pio 504HDE for £5500 by itself, it kind of puts 80 quid into perspective ;)

9. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those plugs do look interesting, but i have purchased a Belkin surge master 8 gang, there are a couple of models. which has all the same features but also comes as standard with a £40,000 connected equipment warranty. which i think is very nice when you think about lightning protection etc.

Anyway, it is just a white unit so not as fancy looking as one of these but only costs about £45-50 and works a dream.

There is never a need to pay an overpriced premium for sleek looks if it is gonna be hidden.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Olsen are the daddy, we use their kit in our datacentre, not a single issue in almost 7 years of continuous operation.

11. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had EXACTLY the same problem when I plugged composite directly into the plasma from the NTL box.

Upgrading to component (composite signal upgraded via Denon amp) did the job for me - so I suspect it will be quality either cables or more likely the quality of the output from the NTL box, when testing I used top quality composite cables and got the same results.

By the way using a denon amp you can also sort the lip synch out as well.

12. panasonic6

panasonic6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to using composite signal.

I would never use a composite signal as that would defeat the object of having a plasma, I use QED 21 rgb scart leads, with output from my ntl being in rgb and from my dvd player being rgb.

I think Liam hit the nail on the head and its more than likely rf interference or bad earths on my power side of things. So Ive been looking into buying a nice 8 gang distribution block with surge protection and rf reduction.

Ive come across a nice Maplin one that has better noise suppression than the Olson one.
    I will post to let you know my findings.

Mark

13. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    let me know, it will be interested to know if I can improve the signal quality even more... (I use composite 'cos I have a panny 5 with no scart or 'owt - but the denon now uprates everything so coooool...)

Rob.