Problem with Panasonic dvd recorder

alaskamick

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my Panasonic dmr-ex97
The timer recoding light, red clock, is permanently on and I am unable to do anything at all, play, record.
Every press of any button just shows a flashing solid white box by the red indicator.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Welcome to the forum.

Press 'prog check' on the remote control. This will put the timer screen onto the TV.

Whilst in that mode, press the red button to take the unit out of recording standby mode.

Thanks a lot for your reply but I have tried your suggestion and it just brings up a blank screen with AV4 on.
Everything is still the same.

Thanks for your advise.
I did as you said but nothing would show on the screen except AV4 and Recorder 1

Disconnect from the mains both the EX97 and your TV for a couple of minutes, reconnect then try again.
When you turn on, switch on the TV before you switch on the EX97.

Thanks again for your help but it didn't work. Still got that red clock showing and and the white flashing square when I press any key.
This is about 13 months old and purchased from Currys, do you think that I have any chance of them doing anything for me?
Also is it worth going to a local chap who repairs AV stuff and asking him to try fixing it.
I use the recorder a lot but I don't fancy paying £300 for a replacement.
Thanks again.

The white flashing square is just an indicator that remote instructions are being received.

Can you advise how the unit is connected to the TV? via HDMI or Scart, or both? ... and is AV4 normal route by which you see the output of the EX97?

Also, even though nothing appeared on the screen when you pressed prog check, did you try pressing the red button whislt the unit was in that mode?

Hi, via HDMI only. To be honest I don't think I have ever seen which route is normal as immediately I do anything on the dvd remote it goes into full on mode doing whatever I've asked it to do.
However I phoned a repair place this morning and I'm taking it in to be sorted. He assured me that it would be no problem to do it and I will get it back the same day.
I will let you know how I get on and thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Cheers, Mike

Well good luck, but I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with it

It is in timer standby mode, which is what the red clock indicates, and simply needs to be taken out of that mode.

You could manually select the HDMI channel on the TV that the unit is connected to, then try the prog check button again - so that you can see its output. then press the red button ( Not the record button - but the red button of the ascribable coloured button set)

Last edited:
Did you get this repaired?

It sounds almost like the infamous 'lockup' for which this model has quite a reputation. I was going to suggest trying a forced power down by holding the power button for several seconds and then (assuming it responds) a factory reset.

The factory reset isn't the cure all Panasonic claim on these but it does give you a fixed point of reference for an initial known state.

Hello again.
I took my recorder to a local repair guy today and he managed to sort it out for me. It had been recording non stop and was continuing till it was crammed full and still trying do record more.
Anyway the initial problem turned out to be a faulty HDMI cable from the recorder to the tv. We live and learn.
Could I ask for your expertise once more. I just can't get my head round the manual for this recorder.
When I'm playing back recorded tv programmes as well as displaying subtitles for us old aged hard of hearing it is also giving a verbal commentary which is most annoying. I have spent hours reading through the Panasonic Instruction Book but am unable to locate how to turn off the verbal commentary. Any idea how?
Many thanks for your advise, it is appreciated, Mike

Hi Mike I'm trying to find info on a Panasonic DMR-E27 and came across your thread. The query re the voiceover could be that your TV has an option called Accessability within which you can turn on or off the "Audio description". My wife inadvertently does this by pressing a wrong button on the remote. Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot Gilbern, what a simple answer to the problem.
I think that the people who write the manuals should take a course in plain english.
All the answers are there but finding them is a nightmare.

I'm pleased to hear you got the Panasonic fixed. It sounds like perhaps you had it set to pause live TV if it had been left recording for many hours.

(You can move any special recordings you have to an external drive if you wish to keep them and free up space on the recorder)

On the Audio Accessibility issue, page #20 in recorder manuals has a brief description.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 195705.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Press 'prog check' on the remote control. This will put the timer screen onto the TV.

Whilst in that mode, press the red button to take the unit out of recording standby mode.
Billy,

I have followed the instructions, now back to normal, no red button now showing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom