Problem with Panasonic 32PB50

DyManiX

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got a Panasonic 32PB50 and I am getting a slight problem with the picture when watching DVD's.

I have a Pioneer DV444 connected to AV1 running in RGB mode and when I was watching Lord of the Rings (region2) last night I noticed a discoloured bar appears in the top half of the screen.

It goes horzontaly all the way accross and is about 2 inches thick.

You cannot see this on dark scenes but on very light scenes it is obvious. It puts a purple hue over the picture in the bar.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a fix for it?

buckbeak

I've not heard of this problem being particular to the PB50 (I also have one)

Sounds like a general Symptom that you unfortunately get from time to time with any TV

get it swapped !

the only problem I had was the buzzing one during Dark pictures , this got fixed via a MOD to the PSU

Doh!

I was hoping it would be fixable without having to take the set back (its bloody big and bloody heavy!).

I am only using a cheap Argos scart lead, could this cause the problem?

Or do you think Comet would collect the set? I may have to do some more testing tonight and get in touch with Comet, see what they say.

I've just got a 28PB50 and I have a Pioneer DV545 connected to AV4/RGB. Only got it last week and I ain't noticed any bars when watching a DVD but I will have a look and let you know.

The only problem I have is a slight Geometry problem. It appears that the top 20cm of the screen bends to the left occasionally. To get this fixed should I phone Panasonic or Empire Direct ??

I didnt think AV4 was RGB enabled?

I thought it was just AV1 and AV2, am I wrong?

Boozyuzi

I bought mine from Empire so I phoned them to get it fixed , there are pretty good actually , if you insist you could get it swapped

They sent out a local company who collected mine and brought is back after a week. I'm thinking of getting a extended warranty from them for 5 years at £209 as I've just heard from a friend who has had a Sony for 13months and he's just lost the picture (even in the setup screens)

What do you guys think of the Picture Quality using DVD's (ignoring your current problem) I think it's fantastic !

Well apart from the problem I am getting with the horizontal coloured bar the picture is fantastic.

I might try using Svideo mode instead of RGB to see if that fixes it. Will the quality differ much using S-Video?

buckbeak

I think AV4 is RGB anabled (should be the blue button on your remote). I use AV1 for Sky and AV4 for DVD. AV2 or 3 (can't remember which one is the other at the back) is for video

I then us the remaining AV socket at the from to connect my SR5200 so I can few the settings using the monitor out connection on the AMP

buckbeak

S-Video V RGB , ahh that old chessnut , in theory RGB is superior but some people prefer RGB scart.

Remember you wont get wide screen switching when using S-Video

I prefer RGB but I say which ever one you prefer stick to it

Are you using the on board sound decoder and SPK's or a ext amp like me ?

MY A\V RIG
Panasonic TX32PB50
Marantz SR5200
Toshiba 210ED
Amstrad DRX300 SKY Box
Mission M72
Mission M7C
Mission M7ds
Eltax Atomic A10 Sub
AIWA VCR
Gale SPKR cables
IXOS Scart

Im using the on board sound and speakers. I only have a small living room and the sound so far is excellent.

Hmm... I would rather use RGB Scart but if S-video cures my problem I may have to go for that.

buckbeak

But don't accept the set if you are getting these problems using that scart socket.

Make sure it's not the cable otherwise get it replaced or send it back

we all spend a vast amount of cash on these things and should not accept substandard goods

Anyone know if there is an installers menu and how do you access it ???

Will the engineer be able to fix my geometry problems on site ?

Is their a test card/picture test he can access ???

Thanks.

You are right, but I have read many posts on here from people who have had over 3 replacement sets and get different faults each time.

Also I dont want them to take the set away and be without TV for 2 weeks.

I will speak to comet and see what they say they can do.

Originally posted by buckbeak
I didnt think AV4 was RGB enabled?

I thought it was just AV1 and AV2, am I wrong?
AV1 and AV4 are both RGB enabled.

buckbeak

I know what your saying that's why I let them take mine away for a week as I was worried that a replacement would land me in the same mess.

Regarding the service menu , if you do a search on here you should be able to find the details your looking for

but remember to write down all the settings first before you change them

Heres a link to a page on this forum that has details of how to access the service menu:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?[url]http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php[/URL]

I dont know if the link will work (looks weird), but its in my favourites and working for me.

If not search for "recommendations on my Panny 32PK1". There is a topic with this subject that goes into how to access the service menu (this does work on the pb50 apparently)

Boozyuzi said: AV1 and AV4 are both RGB enabled.

Are you sure? I have my DVD in AV1/RGB and XBOX in AV2 which I am sure is running in RGB too (picture looked very clear).

I am sure i read in the manual that AV1 and AV2 are RGB and 3 and 4 are S-video.

Am I going mad?

I'm sure Boozyuzi in correct

AV1 and AV4 are both RGB capable, AV2/3 are S-Video

Righty ho! I will have to do some cable swapping when I get home.

Is there a slim chance that all 3 inputs are RGB?

I have my VCR/SKY Digital in AV4 at the moment and when I switch my SKY to RGB the picture is still fuzzy, this is why I thought AV4 was not RGB.

no, only two of the three Scarts are RGB enabled.

Thought so.

Any reccomendations on good scart leads and how much they should cost? About to go over to Comet and quiz them about my problem/pickup lead.

bought my IXOS scart from there ,it cost about £30 , think this is enough for a scart lead . Some people say you should spend more but most people can't see the difference between a £30 and a £100 lead anyway

Thanks,

I will see if they have one of those then... £30 should be enough for a scart lead.

I paid £39 for an optical lead yesterday!! Need 2 but not at that price.

They dont have that brand of cable in Comet anymore.

I got a Monster Video 1 Scart lead which cost me £30, the guy in comet told me I would get a 100% picture qaulity improvement over my cheap Argos lead.

Maybee so, but if it doesnt fix the horizontal colour band problem they said an engineer would have to come look at it.

let me know how you get on

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom