Problem with optical lead

VTEA

Novice Member
Hi, my first post, before Xmas I got my old jvc surround sound out the loft Connecting To An Analog Component; Connecting To A Digital Component - JVC SP-PWA55 Instructions Manual [Page 17] | ManualsLib connected it to my samsung TV User manual 58U2963DB Toshiba UHD TV | manualsFile
fired it up and all worked fine. Setting the Christmas tree up I accidently sat on the optical lead breaking the little flap on back of TV. Ive fixed this but the cable refuses to work, I've tried a different cable to no avail and I've even connected the virgin box directly to back of surround sound, still no luck. I've checked the surround sound system to ensure its still working, it does when playing a CD, I'm now thinking phono leads from TV to JVC, would this work? Any other ideas? Lol, it's doing my nut in tbh

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If the Optical Out on the TV is damaged then yes an analogue cable will be your next option.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

VTEA

Novice Member
Just looked on back of TV, I have RCA ports but they are labelled RCA in, I'm assuming I need RCA out?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yep. It's actually quite rare these days to find analogue outs on TVs. I've owned quite a few TVs and the last one I had with analogue RCA out was pre smart TV days.

Reading your posts you've said you tried a different source to the amps input that also didn't work. Are you sure it's the TVs optical that's stopped working, could it be the cable that's actually faulty? They are pretty fragile TBH.

I've got an old PS3 that's has a similar damaged port, the flap has come off and cables are a bit loose in the socket but it still works (with some blue tac to make sure the cable doesn't fall out)

VTEA

Novice Member
Yep. It's actually quite rare these days to find analogue outs on TVs. I've owned quite a few TVs and the last one I had with analogue RCA out was pre smart TV days.

Reading your posts you've said you tried a different source to the amps input that also didn't work. Are you sure it's the TVs optical that's stopped working, could it be the cable that's actually faulty? They are pretty fragile TBH.

I've got an old PS3 that's has a similar damaged port, the flap has come off and cables are a bit loose in the socket but it still works (with some blue tac to make sure the cable doesn't fall out)

Hi Jamie, I tested two leads both by bypassing the damaged optical and going straight from virgin box to surround sound........ However, numpty me, although realising the imput button cycled through AUX /TV/FM/DVD I hadn't realised there was another hidden within the cycle by pushing AUX twice, doing this changed it to AUX optical, doh, all working fine now 🙄

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom