Problem with Onkyo 818?

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend, i have noticed that there was no sound through the sky input on the 818

Switching off and back on seemed to sort it.
It's got to the stage now where I keep having to restart it to get audio. Picture is ok, just no audio.
The display on the onkyo shows HDMI.
There is now no audio passthrough, when the amp is off. I have checked the cables and the menu and passthrough is enabled on the correct input, in fact no settings have been changed for some time.

Audio passthrough works on my blu ray input, but i cannot get it to work on this input where it has been working without fault since new.

I have inputted my 818 details into the onkyo checker for sound/network problems, but has come up as not affected

any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the common HDMI issue.
Try here....

Onkyo | Customer Care Program

Onkyo recognise the issue and will repair it for free.

best wishes,

Col.

I tried that with my serial number and problem, but came up with NOT affected
Thanks

Ah, right, never got that far when I looked. My repair was dealt with by a guy called Joshua, I think, at Onkyo UK.

I will PM you with details.

Col.

When you switch on and get no sound are the channel icons on the left side of the display illuminated, if not when you switch off and then on again do they come on with the sound.

I had the same issue a few months back and sent it back to genserve who replaced the hdmi board FOC. It was under warranty but as this hdmi board failure is a known issue even if the warranty has run out they will still fix it FOC.

cheers chaps, HDMI board replacement arranged under warranty.

Now to disconnect and package up! not looking forward to being without it for 2wks!

right, tried to watch PJ last night and swapped sky hdmi into another input, which worked until I changed channel and now no hdmi inputs have sound.

Have connected sky directly to tv for now.
May try and reset the amp and see if i can get it working for the weekend, before sending off on Monday!

reset worked temporarily, until the amp was switched off. At least I got a weekends use out of it before I packed it up and dropped off to parcelforce today.
Now lets hope it returns back in the same condition, with not a single mark on it.
What are the chances of that, I wonder?!

I had an 818 that did exactly the same in August. It gradually got worse and worse, to the point that a reset failed to even temporarily fix it. I had a 5 year warranty from Richer Sounds, so took it back to them.

I've been waiting for them to repair it ever since. First it was waiting on a part. But I called today, and got told "repair not possible".

So just had a bit of a negotiation with them regarding a replacement.

I paid £800 for my 818 in April 2013. By the letter of the Richer Sounds warranty, they should have only offered me £350 credit. Which was a bit disappointing. (I actually got more than that, but that was down to the store manager's goodwill).

So be warned.

Really? why only £350? - what is the point of the warranty if that is the case?
Genserve have ordered a hdmi board, so it can be fixed. I'm surprised |RS can fix it.
What did they offer you out of interest?

I paid £800 for my 818 in April 2013. By the letter of the Richer Sounds warranty, they should have only offered me £350 credit. Which was a bit disappointing. (I actually got more than that, but that was down to the store manager's goodwill).
Thought the warranty covers a equivalent replacement but I'm stunned by their valuation of a £800 product a year and a half into a 5 yr warranty. A £450 drop. Is that what they believe is the going rate for s\h or because it has a fault? You couldn't even buy a equivalent avr s\h with that age for £350.

I must say if that is the extent of a 5yr warranty from RS they ain't worth the bother especially if they charge you for it.

I would have expected new for old and no less.

I think I would be contacting John Clayton one of their directors, he posts on here sometimes, especially when someone has had a raw deal which is what you have had. After all it was still within the 2 yr warranty that comes with an Onkyo amp and this is a known issue which would be fixed even if it was outside the 2yrs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom