Problem with Olive Opus Remote

amenon

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just bought an Olive Opus music server and I’m having a problem with remote control compatibility. When I use the bottom navigation key on the Opus remote to scroll through the song menu it changes the input on my ARCAM AVR300. The eject button on the Olive puts my AVR300 into standby mode. As amusing as this sounds, it’s starting to get a little annoying. Has anyone experienced similar problems? I plan on calling Olive tomorrow but I thought I’d see if anyone here has dealt with this issue before.

You can change the remote system code that the AVR300 responds to from RC5 System 16 to RC5 System 19. You can then configure the CR80 remote to output RC5 System 19 commands on selction of the 'Aux' key as the source to control.

To change the AVR300 to RC5 system code 19 you need to do the following:

1. Press and hold 'RDS Info' then press 'Preset/Tune' on the front panel. This will put you into the Engineers menu.

2. Using the 'Effect' and 'Mode' buttons to scroll up and down through the menu options go to the 'Zone 1 16*' option. Use the volume control to change this to 'Zone 1 19'

3. Using the 'Effect' and 'Mode' buttons again scroll to the 'Exit' option. Press the 'OK' button to exit this menu.

4. The AVR300 will now only respond to RC6 System 19 commands which should not conflict with the commands from you Olive Opus.

I will get back to you later on to explain gow to reconfigure the Arcam CR80 remote to output RC5 System 19 commands instead of System 16 commands. I need to wait until I'm at my shop to remind myself how to do it.

This is great Chris, thanks. I'll make the changes when I get home tonight. I use the CR80 to run my Tivo and TV. If I make the changes you describe will I have to reprogram my remote to learn the Tivo and TV codes again? Not a big deal if I do, just curious. Thanks again.

Way off topic... .but jealousy is very unbecoming. I soooo want an OPUS. Please post your opinions on it after you have listened a bit. You can PM me if there is no place for the comments.
Cheers,
Mike

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to do a comparison to my current CD player (DV78). I'll let you know what I think.

amenon said:
This is great Chris, thanks. I'll make the changes when I get home tonight. I use the CR80 to run my Tivo and TV. If I make the changes you describe will I have to reprogram my remote to learn the Tivo and TV codes again? Not a big deal if I do, just curious. Thanks again.

You won't have to reprogram the remote for the Tivo or TV commands at all. You will have to use the 'Aux' button as the source control selection to operate the AVR300 instead of the 'Amp' button.

I will post further once I have confirmed the process to do this to the CR80.

In order to configure the CR80 remote to output the AVR300 commands on code 19 instead of code 16 you need to do the following:

1. Press and old the 'Set' button on the CR80 until the LED blinks twice.
2. Press the 'Aux' source control button near the top of the remote.
3. Press the numbers '1213'
4. Press the 'Set' button.

Now when you want to control the AVR300 you will need to select the 'Aux' button as your source control selection instead of the 'Amp' button. Providing you have set the AVR300 to respond to Code 19 commands this should give you the ability to control most of the functions on the AVR300 usiung the CR80 without interfering with your Olive Opus system.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the help. :smashin:

Crustyloafer said:
In order to configure the CR80 remote to output the AVR300 commands on code 19 instead of code 16 you need to do the following:

1. Press and old the 'Set' button on the CR80 until the LED blinks twice.
2. Press the 'Aux' source control button near the top of the remote.
4. Press the 'Set' button.

Now when you want to control the AVR300 you will need to select the 'Aux' button as your source control selection instead of the 'Amp' button. Providing you have set the AVR300 to respond to Code 19 commands this should give you the ability to control most of the functions on the AVR300 usiung the CR80 without interfering with your Olive Opus system.

I had the same problem between the Opus and my AVP 700. I tried your solution (going into the e menu and also reconfiguring the CR 80) but now the AVP 700 doesn't seem to respond to any commands sent from the CR 80 even if I press the AUX button on the CR 80 before trying to send a command. Is the process different for the AVP 700? Thanks.

thatMikeguy said:
Way off topic... .but jealousy is very unbecoming. I soooo want an OPUS. Please post your opinions on it after you have listened a bit. You can PM me if there is no place for the comments.
Cheers,
Mike

I posted over on AVS about my initial impressions of the Opus. It's turned into a rather long thread with some controversy. You might want to check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405

Jack D said:
I had the same problem between the Opus and my AVP 700. I tried your solution (going into the e menu and also reconfiguring the CR 80) but now the AVP 700 doesn't seem to respond to any commands sent from the CR 80 even if I press the AUX button on the CR 80 before trying to send a command. Is the process different for the AVP 700? Thanks.

The process is exactly the same, you do need to make sure you select the 'Exit' option when leaving the Engineers menu in order to make sure the changes you have made are stored.

Crustyloafer said:
The process is exactly the same, you do need to make sure you select the 'Exit' option when leaving the Engineers menu in order to make sure the changes you have made are stored.

Yeah I did that. Still, no luck. The 700 does not respond to any remote commands at this point. Also I went back into the e menu and tried to reset to default but I couldn't do it. I also couldn't go back to zone 1 and change back to the standard code with the left/right arrows.

I must be doing something wrong because when I press the RDS Info button and then Preset/Tune nothing happens. I called my dealer and they said I need to call back on Monday and they'll call their Arcam rep.

Jack D said:
I also couldn't go back to zone 1 and change back to the standard code with the left/right arrows.

That's because you don't change the setting with the left/right arrows, you use the volume control to adjust the settings.

Crustyloafer said:
That's because you don't change the setting with the left/right arrows, you use the volume control to adjust the settings.

Duh. Ok that worked. I switched back to code 16 and now the remote controls the 700. That tells me that I didn't correctly reset the remote to work on code 19. Tried again to follow your instructions to reset the remote and still no luck.:confused:

I never use the CR 80 to control other devices since I have a Harmony 890. I assume that once you press the device button on the CR 80 it stays controlling that same device until you press the button to switch to another device. Is that correct or do you have to press the relevant button (aux in this case) each time you send a command?

Also, once I get this sorted out and correctly reset the CR 80 to work on code 19, how will that affect the ability of the 890 to control the 700? Will I have to go back and teach the 890 each command from the CR 80 since it is functioning on code 19?

Many thanks.

"I assume that once you press the device button on the CR 80 it stays controlling that same device until you press the button to switch to another device."

Yes that's correct. If you change your AVP700 to accept the RC5 19 codes let me know if it works.

amenon said:
"I assume that once you press the device button on the CR 80 it stays controlling that same device until you press the button to switch to another device."

Yes that's correct. If you change your AVP700 to accept the RC5 19 codes let me know if it works.

Ok. I'll keep you posted. BTW noticed you are in the DC area. Me too!

Here are some new instructions to change the CR80 to code 19. Follow these to the letter:

1. Press the 'Aux' source control button near the top of the remote.
2. Press and hold the 'Set' button on the CR80 until the LED blinks twice.
4. Press the 'Power' button to confirm that the unit is now reposnding to the new commands.

You will need to modify the AVP700 to accept the code 19 commands prior to doing this in order for it to work and respond.

I have tested the above procedure and the one for changing the AVP700 and can confirm that it works. It does not give you access to all the commands such as the Setup menu etc, but most of what you would need once the system has been setup and configured correctly.

amenon said:

It should do, although there is no harm in pressing the 'Aux' key beforehand just to be sure.

Also make sure that is you are using the volume lock function on the CR80 which tells it to send the AVP700 volume commands regardless of which source has been selcted to control you will now need to assign the volume lock function to the Aux input instead of the Amp input.

I can't seem to enter the engineer's menu. When I press the RDS Info button and the Preset/Tune button nothing happens. My OSD is working, I can enter the main OSD and the Setup OSD but not the E menu. What am I doing wrong?

Crustyloafer said:
Here are some new instructions to change the CR80 to code 19. Follow these to the letter:

1. Press the 'Aux' source control button near the top of the remote.
2. Press and hold the 'Set' button on the CR80 until the LED blinks twice.
4. Press the 'Power' button to confirm that the unit is now reposnding to the new commands.

You will need to modify the AVP700 to accept the code 19 commands prior to doing this in order for it to work and respond.

Bingo!!! That did it. That's a lot!:D

I can confirm that switching to code 19 does seem to resolve the conflict with the Opus remote. The main thing I noticed is that when you use the up/down left/right arrows on the Opus remote to scroll its menu it would change settings on the Arcam. I scrolled around just now and no problem with the Arcam.

Next step: I have to figure out how to reprogram my Harmony 890 as it now is not controlling the Arcam. The Harmony has the 700 in its on line data base but I guess I will have to go through and teach it each command directly from the Arcam remote given that the A remote is now using code 19.

Crustyloafer said:
Also make sure that is you are using the volume lock function on the CR80 which tells it to send the AVP700 volume commands regardless of which source has been selcted to control you will now need to assign the volume lock function to the Aux input instead of the Amp input.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. So far I did not active the volume lock function but I can control the volume from the Arcam remote without any problem. Is this mainly relevant if you use the C 80 to control other devices?

amenon said:
I can't seem to enter the engineer's menu. When I press the RDS Info button and the Preset/Tune button nothing happens. My OSD is working, I can enter the main OSD and the Setup OSD but not the E menu. What am I doing wrong?

Press the 'RDS Info Button' and keep it held down.

Whilst still holding down the 'RDS Info' Button press the 'Preset/Tune button.

'Engineer Menu' will now appear on the front display.

Follow my previous instructions as described earlier to change the settings.

If this still doesn't not work for you then I fear that this may be a bit beyond you, a professional dealer should be contacted to sort this out for you. I am quite sure that 'Jack D' will confirm for me quite how easy this is to carry out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom