• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Problem with NVIDIA and my Sony TV

Thrakier

Established Member
Hello,

I got a Sony TV Z4500 (EU) which supports only limited RGB Range via HDMI. Now I connected a Nividia 560TI via HDMI to my TV.

The problem is that with my standard settings, as soon as I start the game, black turns kinda grey. I guess it's on the desktop as well but you don't notice it there. There is something wrong with the gamma but I don't know what.

The weird thing is, Desktop setting is supposed to be "FULL RGB" 0-255 I guess. So when I provide Full RGB but my TV expects limited RGB that means it should result in black crush. But it doesn't. I get the complete opposite, the picture is getting BRIGHTER.

No if I choose Fullscreen Video in the setting it's supposed to be limited. But if I choose that and I use test patterns like those:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I get black crush!?? I need to up the brightness in the driver to 55% (standard is 50%) so that I'm able to see all numbers from 1 to 4 clearly.

YCBR or RGB makes no difference.

So I really don't know what is the right setting. Desktop obviously isn't because the blacks are washed out but I don't understand why because they should be crushed, not washed out, if I provide full RGB to a limited color space. Am I wrong?

Please guys help me, this is driving me insane!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom