Problem with new Panasonic soundbar

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Cantabridgian, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Cantabridgian

Cantabridgian
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [Mod:- I've posted this here as it's Panasonic but if it should go into Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases please move it.]

I recently bought a Panasonic SU-HTB488 soundbar. It initially worked well but within less than a week I started having problems with it. I initially had it connected to our 7-year-old 32-inch Panasonic TX-L32S20B TV and thought the problem was with the TV because I've been having problems with that (repeatedly switching itself off and on after it had been running for an hour or two). That TV now seems to have permanently died so I've just bought a 40-inch TX-40EX600B and found the soundbar has exactly the same problem when used with that.

The problem is that when the soundbar is turned on it mutes the TV speakers, as expected, but no sound comes from it. When it is turned off it does not unmute the TV speakers and the TV has to be turned off then back on to recover the sound.

The soundbar is working because it will play sound via the Bluetooth connection so it seemsw to be some strange fault related to the HDMI connection. On both TVs it was/is connected via HDMI2 (ARC).

On the TX-L32S20B there is a setting in the Viera Link button for TV or Home Cinema which should select the internal speakers or soundbar. Once the soundbar had thrown its wobbly it was impossible to set it back to the TV setting. It appeared to set but there was no sound from the TV and when the button was pressed again it was still set to Home Cinema. I haven't found the equivalent functions on the new TV yet but I'm guessing it's probably doing the same.

A further oddity is that sometimes the Home Cinema option was missing from the list. At other times it was there, irrespective of whether the soundbar was turned on or not.

The TV and soundbar are both powered from a multi-way mains block so both concurrently have mains power. I've had to pull the HDMI cable until I can get this sorted and I'm wondering if I need to make a warranty claim. Before I do that I thought I'd just see if anyone has any experience of this kind of problem and can tell me if there's something I've missed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018