Problem with new LG HU810PW Laser 4K Projector

pc99

Hi.

I recently took delivery of a 'used like new' LG HU810PW Laser projector from Amazon Warehouse.

Currently got it set up on a tall cupboard under my existing Epson TW7000 for easy comparison.
My initial impression was 'wow'. Very bright and punchy colours and it's supports everything except 4K 120Hz via my XBOX X and PS5.

However, when using it with my Windows 10 PC I noticed a green tinged band across the bottom third of the screen.
It's only really noticable when viewing something like a browser with a predominantly white background.

I've attached a screenshot to demostrate, although not sure how clearly it can be seen on there.
My screen is just a light grey wall, so no special screen material.

I have confirmed it's not just the PC as I can see it if I open web browser on the XBOX as well. And now that I'm looking for it I can spot it in games if I pan the camera to a light coloured sky for example.

I'm guessing this is a fault rather than something that can likely be corrected with settings.
But any opinions from other owners or experts gratefully received.

I got it at a very good price, and I suspect the only option through Amazon would be a refund, so if there is a fault I was wondering if it's worth contacting LG direct for advice or a possible replacement.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_173345.jpg
    IMG_20210829_173345.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 72

The Stoneman

Standard Member
Hi.

I recently took delivery of a 'used like new' LG HU810PW Laser projector from Amazon Warehouse.

Currently got it set up on a tall cupboard under my existing Epson TW7000 for easy comparison.
My initial impression was 'wow'. Very bright and punchy colours and it's supports everything except 4K 120Hz via my XBOX X and PS5.

However, when using it with my Windows 10 PC I noticed a green tinged band across the bottom third of the screen.
It's only really noticable when viewing something like a browser with a predominantly white background.

I've attached a screenshot to demostrate, although not sure how clearly it can be seen on there.
My screen is just a light grey wall, so no special screen material.

I have confirmed it's not just the PC as I can see it if I open web browser on the XBOX as well. And now that I'm looking for it I can spot it in games if I pan the camera to a light coloured sky for example.

I'm guessing this is a fault rather than something that can likely be corrected with settings.
But any opinions from other owners or experts gratefully received.

I got it at a very good price, and I suspect the only option through Amazon would be a refund, so if there is a fault I was wondering if it's worth contacting LG direct for advice or a possible replacement.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Hi pc99,

I would send it back and start again, I have had an LGHU810 since mid June and once it has had a couple of hundred hours on it, it settles down nicely, The above issue I had with an Epson TW9400 last year after a repair? and I think bad packaging from Epson but who knows, anyway I am sure you will not be able to calibrate this out without upsetting the rest of the colours.
The LG is a very good projector for the money, I had an Epson TW5800 for over 10 years, my son has it now, two new and a repaired 9400's, two Optoma UHZ65's, highly underrated but both developed early faults, so far very happy with the LG, I must find time to do a better report some time, just very busy.
Good luck, cheers.
Good luck.

pc99

Thanks for the response Stoneman.

I only paid £1900 for this from Amazon, but won't be able to get a replacement. Whilst it is nice I don't feel I can stretch to the full price to buy a replacement.

I have just today noticed that the tinge isn't there when first powering up the projector but becomes more apparent over a hour or so.

If I do return it I will probably just stick with my Epson TW7000 until prices drop a bit more.

I have been perfectly happy with the Epson until now. Had a TW3200 prior to that and a Sanyo Z2 before that.

screenertime

Hi, I tested this model but returned due to focus issue,
this setting removes green tinge.

source

Attachments

• calibrate green out.png
    calibrate green out.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 64

pc99

Thanks for the response screenertime. I had already seen that review and tried those settings. But it makes no difference. It's definitely not a green cast over the whole screen, just the bottom third.

Interestingly you can only change some of those setting mentioned when not in HDR mode.

I keep trying to take a photo but the photos seem to show banding up and down the screen but that isn't visible to the naked eye.

I guess it's going to have to go back.

pc99

Tried a factory reset as well and also checked for updates, but it seems I have the latest version.
Thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom