problem with new extreme

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I unplugged my express put it away and connected my cable ethernet cable to the new extreme. I loaded the software and my main computer connected to the new network as did my printer.
I went to my i phone and also my ps3 and apple tv to change the network name and everything is ok.
However one of my i macs seems to connect the wireless symbol shows full and it says I am connected to the internet, however when i try to go to a website on this one it says error message. I tried to go to airport utility and got this message
you cannot open this application airport utility because it is not supported on this archetecture.
I downloaded utility from my main computer to a flash drive and loaded it on the problem one. I tried to get on the tinternet and it aint connecting saying i am not connected to the internet, however i go through diagnostics and it says I am? I then go to get on the tinternet and in diagnostics internet and server are showing as a red light.
I am typing this from my macbook which is right next to the problem i mac.
Anyone got a clue?
If anything I think things seem a bit slower with the extreme!:eek:

Is this through wireless? If so, try it wired and see if that solves the problem.
It might be down to the wireless setting being 'n' only so anything with a wireless network card that doesn't support 'n' won't be able to access it.

Can't remember off hand what my Mini did when I first got the Extreme and set it to 'n' only. Think it just didn't see it so maybe that's not your problem, but try it wired to see if that helps.

Is this through wireless? If so, try it wired and see if that solves the problem.
It might be down to the wireless setting being 'n' only so anything with a wireless network card that doesn't support 'n' won't be able to access it.

Can't remember off hand what my Mini did when I first got the Extreme and set it to 'n' only. Think it just didn't see it so maybe that's not your problem, but try it wired to see if that helps.

i am typing from it now, all of my macs are fairly new so i dont see what was causing this (all bought late 2007).
Hopefully itt works ok now.

Guess it's another of those pesky network gremlins :D

God! I hate networking :devil:

Guess it's another of those pesky network gremlins :D

God! I hate networking :devil:

it never worked for long noticed there was an error with software up load and eventually found that the os on my sons computer and airport needs up dating. Doing it now hopefully that will sort it.
I hate networking too!

it seems to work for 5 mins then it goes again with under diagnostics isp , internet and server showing as red. When I go through this it seems to work again. but 10 mins later it goes.
Even my macbook seems to be losing the network and I have to reconnect.
I bought the extreme to have a stronger connection and also a better range if anything it is worse so far!!!!:mad:
I am constantly having to go into diagnostics to start this up again. what a pain!

Last edited:
phoned up apple, nice dutch guy gets me to change radio channel setting from 5 to 11, and also helped me to create a 5gb network for the faster machines.
Thank god for extended applecare warranty.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hope you mean 5Ghz as it would be great if wireless could do 5GB, but it's lucky to get better than a 100 ethernet cable :D
Maybe that's why I hate wireless - to slow for streaming hi-def.

Gigabit ethernet all the way :smashin:

Hope you mean 5Ghz as it would be great if wireless could do 5GB, but it's lucky to get better than a 100 ethernet cable :D
Maybe that's why I hate wireless - to slow for streaming hi-def.

Gigabit ethernet all the way :smashin:

:rolleyes:
Sorry 5ghz I meant!

IIRC, you mentioned a couple of Macs near the modem/AExp setup. For these machines, you're better off getting those flag cat5e cables and wired them up directly.

What's the speed of the wireless connection you're getting for the furthest wifi-N-enabled Macs?

IIRC, you mentioned a couple of Macs near the modem/AExp setup. For these machines, you're better off getting those flag cat5e cables and wired them up directly.

What's the speed of the wireless connection you're getting for the furthest wifi-N-enabled Macs?

on speednet it is showing as around 13g with an upload of 0.70.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/483217880.png

only one computer is near the extreme.

It's the wireless connection speed referred to. Press and hold OPT while clicking on the wireless icon will show more statistics, including the Transmit Rate. You should get a value for the latter at around 100Mbps or more.

It's the wireless connection speed referred to. Press and hold OPT while clicking on the wireless icon will show more statistics, including the Transmit Rate. You should get a value for the latter at around 100Mbps or more.

its around 243 with rsi -54.

Christ! The max I get with my iMac with just a couple of metres away from the TimeCapsule is 130Mbps...Looks like I am missing something...

tried it again there it was 169. it seems to be moving from that up to the mid 200's, must be the 20mg broadband from virgin and the new extreme doing its job.:thumbsup:

Found out why the wireless connection was maxing out at 130Mbps - I was setting the TC to operate in g/n mode.

With the TC now set up at N-mode only (5GHz), we are now getting 216. Woohoo!

Found out why the wireless connection was maxing out at 130Mbps - I was setting the TC to operate in g/n mode.

With the TC now set up at N-mode only (5GHz), we are now getting 216. Woohoo!
I assume that you have the old Time Capsule as the new one (& the new Airport Extreme) works simultaneously on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so neither interferes with the other & you can use 'n' mode at full speed.

hahahah, oh dear.. I think I need that time capsule ! I just tried the option key whilst clicking on airport (nice trick)

NOW PROMISE NOT TO LAUGH!!

RSSI -46
Transmit Rate 54

How pony is that!!! (sky sagem router btw) iMac is only about 20ft from it aswell! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbsdow:suicide:

I spoke too soon I have created these two bands one for ps3, i phone and wii and an older i mac, my two 2008 i macs my macbook and the apple tv all use the 5ghz band.
However one of these i macs keeps losing the 5ghz signal i have to go on airport utility click on the airport extreme and then under radio channel selection i have to go via the update.

It is flakey as hell and doesnt work as well as my old express, and the laughable thing is I bought this to extend the range and make the signal stronger!:mad:

it will connect to my other network which is running at the lower speed, the i mac I have next to the extreme is of the same age only difference being 24 inch rather than 20. now this works fine but the other i mac just wont connect to this network (5ghz) and stay on it.

Last edited:
With Airport Utility, access your AEBS and see how Airport/Summary/Wireless_Clients tracks the dropping iMac. It is possible you have a IP address problem, but that's a wild guess.

With Airport Utility, access your AEBS and see how Airport/Summary/Wireless_Clients tracks the dropping iMac. It is possible you have a IP address problem, but that's a wild guess.

I dont know how to do that mate:oops:

With Airport Utility fired up and the AEBS accessed, click to get to this page and click on where the big, red arrow points to.

Pic here.

With Airport Utility fired up and the AEBS accessed, click to get to this page and click on where the big, red arrow points to.

Pic here.

Mines shows up as 3 wireless clients.

I have at this moment 2 newish i macs one older white one, an apple tv, a ps3 and also a wii and an i phone. When my macbook is repaired this will also be accessing this.
I noticed you used 44 and 12 for your radio channels I was using 36 and 5 I have changed it to yours just incase there is interference with my neighbours wireless systems.

I did this and it seemed to be working, however the 5ghz band started playing up again with only the 2.4ghz band working, it is now showing as 4 wireless clients.

one other thing mines is wpa/wpa2 personal should I change this to wpa2 personal?

Last edited:
still a flakey connection with this imac on the 5ghz connection, seems to work then it goes again and I have to go on the 2.4ghz band. Honestly I had a better range with the airport express! which aint even n but g:mad:, .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom