problem with netgear router?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by MikeKay1976, Sep 11, 2007.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    Hi

am guessign i will have to phone sky but thought i would ask here 1st.

I recently got sky 16mb broadband and got their free Netgear router.

most of the time it seems ok, but sometimes it just seems to stop wiorking.

this morning my pc, which i had left downloading over the wireless connection over night had fallen off the network. doing a scan revieled no networks in range.

i restarted my pc, no joy, in the end i had to power cycle the router then it worked fine.

The thing is, it isnt at the edge of the range of my router. it has almost full signal strength, is always connected at 54g so i dont know what the problem is.

from what i can tell (am stuck at work now) but it seems that it has fallen off again as i deliberately left it logged into a site thsi morning that i can check from work, and its apparently no longer on line.

2. damianpadden

damianpadden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry to tell you this but sky broadband routers are rubbish, you will be better off getting another router and hacking the sky router for the username and password. I had the same prob as you and spent many hours on the phone to tech support and they just fob you off. I got rid of their modem and used my old netgear router and its been up since then and not stopped working.

highly recommed you go down this route or cancel sky broadband.

heres a link that may help.

http://www.philipnicosia.com/2006/10/03/sky-broadband-username-and-password/

Damo

3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    Hi

thanks for the reply. How come its rubbish though? i dont understand as it looks to be a Netgear 108 Mbps RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router - DG834PN which i thought was a decient piece of hardware.

i will take a butchers at your link.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    The Router isn't all bad, Sky's firmware isn't wonderful though.

I have similar problems but just live with giving the router a quick reset once every few days when this happens. Just pull the power cable out and replace, usually back up and reconnected within a minute or so.

IMO Not really a big enough problem to justify the outlay of a new router.

sometimes disabling/re-enabling the wireless adapter can fix the problem as well

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    so if i was to get my username and password settings and reflash this to the standard netgear router, should that fix the problems or is it a general hardware flakyness?

thing is you see, i am used to having my network up for months at a time.

never had probelms with my old d-link G604T and that one was renowned for being unstable, yet i never had issue with it.

i only sold the G604T earlier on today as well :(

6. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,071
    my god i just got off the phone from sky.

Now its probably not very pc correct of me and i personally dont care where a call centre is based, but surely if you work on a call centre for an English based company for goodness sake surely you should be able to speak clearly in English???

I have no idea what the woman said to me, she spoke so damn quickly with some Indian/American hybrid accent.

basically i think she said, when it crashes just unplug and replug in and thats all you can do, however am not entirely certain.

I was very polite and asked her to repeat what she said slowly as i could not understand her, but it made no difference, so i gave up, thanked her and hung up. :(

**update... got home and it had crashed again, so i followed the advice on the webpage shown above, got my username and P/W then i flashed the firmware of the router and i now have a standard fully functional netgear router.

so will it last any longer...... time will tell.