Problem with my wireless network

riposoeterno

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am having a very odd problem with my wireless network. I am using a WNR834Bv2 Netgear Rangemax router with the latest firmware. My wireless network is set up to 270Mbps with WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] security.

It seems to drop connections on my housemates laptops and PS3 which are on the wireless randomly, for 10-20 seconds.

Note that this NEVER happens on my macbook pro which is on the wireless, and never happens with my PS3 and Desktop which are wired.

What could be the problem?

I have already tried giving the hardware a factory reset.

If it's only affecting wireless rather than wired clients, that suggests it's purely a wifi issue rather than anything wrong with routing, NAT, firewall, ISP, etc.

The "channel-bonded" AKA "40MHz" modes required for the higher link rates have to indulge is some trickery in the presence of 20MHz devices/networks so they play nice together. Maybe that's not working too well. It would be a useful experiment to try using only 20MHz modes and see whether that makes a difference, though that means you'll loose the higher link rates.

It would also be beneficial to survey your locale for sources of wifi interference. There's a free tool called InSSIDer that will help you search for other wifi networks. In the knowledge of what's competing with your wifi, you can thence make a more educated wifi channel selection for your wifi. Though your options are somewhat limited if you what to use channel bonding. Lot's of threads here describe how to go about making a wifi survey.

yep id agree with above might be worth using a program like Inssider to find the least busy wifi channel and using this, it could be interference if theres plenty of other wireless traffic floating around, give Inssider a look

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom