1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my Pioneer 433HDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loonatic, May 9, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

My 433HDE started having this strange 'streaking' problem. At first I thought it might just have been something to do with Sky but after some investigation I found it affected all inputs. Sky+ via RGB SCART, DVD via component, TV via the ariel and PC via the VGA port.

It's a bit difficult to explain but maybe the picture below will help.

[​IMG]

Can you see the streaks that appear at the end of the letters on Countdown.

You can also see it clearly by bringing up the Sky EPG...at the beginning and end of each menu item.

And if you have Aliens towards the beginning of the film when Ripley is being questioned she stands in front of a screen with green scrolling text. As the text scrolls upwards you see these 'streaks' through her face.

So I arranged for the engineer to come and have a look.

He tried his test media box with my screen...same thing.

So he tried my box with his screen...same thing.

Then he tried his box with his screen...same thing.

He has now taken away both my screen and media box leaving me with his loan items.

Does anyone know what's causing this ?

Has anyone else had the problem ?

Any suggestions anyone ?

I'm not having much luck lately...my HS10 has been sent back also.

Cheers, Lee

2. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just installed a 503MXE and have also noticed this but to date only when viewing Sky. Only really noticable when the background is very light and the foreground dark.

I haven't investigated much yet but suspect it's something to do with either an earthing issue or signal interference from RFI or EMI.
    My first port of call will be to attach a few ferrite cores to a few power cables to see if this helps.

My connections are a little unique so it could take me a while to track down the source of the problem.

Sky TV-Out via Supra Fully Wired Scart ->
    Scart distribution block via Supra RGB Scart ->
    JSTech RGB to VGA box via Bettercables Silver Serpent VGA to BNC Cable ->
    Extron Crosspoint Matrix Switcher via Bettercables Silver Serpent BNC to VGA Cable ->
    Pioneer 503MXE Input 1

Oh, I also lopped of the captive lead from my Sony Sky box and connected up a Female IEC connector so that I could use a Surpa LoRad PowerCable with MKToughPlug and Wattgate320.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me and RAMiAM :confused:

To help elimate things I took the display to a mates house with exactly the same results :confused:

So what is it :mad: has no one else noticed this ?

It would be really help if others could confirm they do not suffer from this as it would give me some ammunition - if required - to say it's not normal.

Cheers, Lee

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Lee

What happens when you drop your brightness setting a notch or two - I cant remember what the tech boys call it but it is possible to overdrive a whole row of pixels if you have something like white text on a black background and your brightness set too high.

I was going to suggest also to re seat your SCART plug but I'm guessing you've already done that one - I had a similar problem a while ago when sticking a new audio cable into the RO3 as it was fouling one of my SCART plugs and causing it to not sit properly; its sorted now.

Best regards

Joe

5. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've noticed this on my Panasonic 5BX too, only very infrequently, but enough to distract when it does happen. I haven't used all the ferrite cores i got with it tho, so i'll re-seat everything i can and add all the cores and see if it changes anything... I can't say i've seen it on any dvds via component yet, just through VGA using Sky / PS2.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It did not seem to make any difference how low or high the contrast/brightness controls were set it still happens.

I have tried various leads but seeing as it does it also via the RF arial and VGA I concluded that it must be a fualt with either the screen, the media box or the cable.

I tried using a difference DVI video cable between the media box and screen and got the same thing.

I tried various combinations of ferrite cores and also tried using a UPS and still the same.

Allthough is was not as visiable all the time it seemed to be making light backgrounds murky.

Anyway...apparantly they have identified the problem and fixed it - what this means I will have to wait until they bring it back next Wednesday.

So fingers crossed it's sorted.

I'll let you know what happens when it returns.

Cheers, Lee

BTW Joe...have you even seen countdown on your HDE ? and if so does yours not exhibit the fault ?

7. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I noticed this a lot tonight watching E4 - the words they throw up just before the ad breaks had clearly visible trails off to the right of them. I reduced all the advanced settings i'd set (White balance B/R) back to zero and hey presto - big reduction in the effect.

I could still see it a bit when there was 14:9 stuff shown on a 4:3 screen (where the 14:9 black meets the grey side) with the high contrast side bars during the ads in Scrubs, but that's less of an issue. I'm tring to watch more and more stuff in Zoom, and Sky 1 is going widescreen proper in June anyway...

Has anyone who's had their screen calibrated by Gordon seen this effect?

8. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked closely at my 433HDE and I get a similar effect when my Telewest EPG is on. When in 4:3 mode, the streaks extend right onto the grey side bars. Presumably this rules out it being a problem with my SCARTS or sources.

It's pretty subtle, though. I hadn't noticed it before, and it's not going to bother me (I hope)

9. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic

I've the domestic 50" version and cannot find any trace of the effect you describe and show.:confused:

This may not be of great help I know but a least it might help you begin building a picture (no pun intended)