1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my Pioneer 109XLC DVD player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeyUC, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MikeyUC

MikeyUC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Pioneer 109XLC DVD player, its one of the last bits for my HTPC.
    However, I cant seem to get the thing to work, the power light comes on and the tray opens and closes.
    The drive appears in the hardware device manager, is correctly identified and is labelled as ‘ this device is working properly ‘ it is also listed as one of the drives in ‘my computer’.

When I try to read a cd or dvd usually nothing happens, sometimes the drive begins to spin then stops with two beeps and windows asks for media to be inserted in to the drive.

I’m using Win2000sp2 and have tried the drive in two computers with the same result, and have also substituted my old cd player, using the same ide and power cables, which work ok.

Is there anything I have missed before I send this drive back ?

Thanks for the help

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is it correctly jumpered master/slave? I've seen a system where a wrongly setup drive was recognised but data transfers failed. Cable seated firmly? Set the BIOS to boot from this device and try a self-bootng CD, does it work?

Can't think of anything else off-hand.

3. MikeyUC

MikeyUC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was set to master when I got it, after trying to get it to work on master I reset it to slave and tried again – still didn’t work :(

I take it that it should be set to slave ?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The master/slave setting only matters if it's connected to the same channel as another deivce, such as your hard disk, if it it isn't then either will work.

If it's cabled and jumpred correctly I cant' think of much else .. did you try to bootable CD test? You'll probably need to alter the boot device sequencein the BIOS to enable that.

5. MikeyUC

MikeyUC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried booting after adjusting the bios, still nothing.
    Looks like ive got a dud.
    Sending back to CLL.

Thanks for the help :)