Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

problem with my NV-HS 830???

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by erw, Dec 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. erw

erw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a panasonic NV-HS 830 to replace my old dead tosh, but either the quality of current generation video players is rubbish or it has a weird defect. The sort that will give me huge problems returning it....

The detail of the picture is obviously better (S-VHS) but it is very grainy whether I tape from Cable, DVD or ariel. Edges are very wavey close up and the contrast seems a tad low. If I set it to S-video output all I get is same but a touch sharper.

Is this correct (am I too used to DVD and DVB) or should I return it.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Definitely not normal, have you tried different tapes ?

3. erw

erw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only had the one brand of S-VHS tape (TDK) but tried a few normal tapes which worked well on my old machine. All similar poor quiality. Returned it today but it was the last one left and so got my money back. Don't know whether to try again or go with a different brand of machine:(

4. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erw, like you I've just bought an 830 from Empire Direct and am hugely disappointed with the picture quality. I've read elsewhere many people recommending this machine, so can only assume that you and I have faulty units. I wonder if they were from the same manufactured batch?

My 830 records very badly on TDK EHG tapes in SVHS ET mode or standard VHS mode, but it also plays prerecorded tapes very badly - lots of grain. When I do a direct comparison against my Panasonic 610B, for which the 830 is a replacement, the 830's picture is much grainier.

I'm phoning Empire Direct tomorrow and asking for a replacement. Let me know how you get on.

5. erw

erw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Footsie, I took it back and got another one. It was just as grainy. Quite good detail with the s-VHS, but you had to watch it from a distance since it was like looking at 8mm film it was so grainy. I took that back and have got a much cheaper sony and will put up with the poor quality until DVD-recordable is sorted...

I have decided that now is not the time to get even a reasonable quality VHS as I think the manufactures see it about to die and are trying to squeeze as much profit from it by using poor quality components.

If only my tosh had lasted another year....

Good Luck!