Problem with my HD-XE1

Blackblood

I've got a Toshiba HD-XE1 connected up to an Hitachi 42PD9700 and I seem to have a problem with certain discs.
I was viewing Miami Vice and I could see what looked like white lines horizontally across the screen, it did'nt appear during every scene, but when there were dark scenes in the movie you could see them.
They also appear during 300 but only in a couple of scenes.
I've also noticed them in the Prestige and Blood Diamond. The thing is that the problem only occurs when the T.V is set to 1080i, when I set it to 720p you can't see the lines.
Does anyone know how I can get rid of them? Possibly a setting on the T.V or HD player?
And if it's a hardware problem which is more likely to be at fault the HD player or T.V?
Thanks

kostas13

I've got a Toshiba HD-XE1 connected up to an Hitachi 42PD9700 and I seem to have a problem with certain discs.
I was viewing Miami Vice and I could see what looked like white lines horizontally across the screen, it did'nt appear during every scene, but when there were dark scenes in the movie you could see them.
They also appear during 300 but only in a couple of scenes.
I've also noticed them in the Prestige and Blood Diamond. The thing is that the problem only occurs when the T.V is set to 1080i, when I set it to 720p you can't see the lines.
Does anyone know how I can get rid of them? Possibly a setting on the T.V or HD player?
And if it's a hardware problem which is more likely to be at fault the HD player or T.V?
Thanks

I think this has to be a problem with your TV's scaling in combination with the XE1 output. Your display although has 1080 vertical lines it hasn't got 1920 horizontal (ie it comes with 1024 making the res of the display 1024x1080i).

The XE1 outputs 1920x1080 so your display will have to downscale this to 1024x1080 or (closest match). So I think you just observing a bad scaling process (assuming from your TV).

Also, I think the problem is always there and not just during dark scenes. The reason you only observe this during black scenes is because on lighter scenes this is not that obvious as it gets covered by the light. However, on black background is easier to spot.

or I could be wrong ;) and perhaps another owner with similar setup to yours can shed some light.

At 720 the problem goes away probably because your display is happy to display the 720 vertical (with a matching horizontal res) which will be less than 1920 (as in the 1920x1080 problematic case).

Regards,

Kostas

TrevorS

I think this has to be a problem with your TV's scaling in combination with the XE1 output. Your display although has 1080 vertical lines it hasn't got 1920 horizontal (ie it comes with 1024 making the res of the display 1024x1080i).

The XE1 outputs 1920x1080 so your display will have to downscale this to 1024x1080 or (closest match). So I think you just observing a bad scaling process (assuming from your TV).

<snip>

Regards,

Kostas

Thinking specifically of the scaling by the display, I've an LCD projector that is natively 1024x768, That's just fine for 4:3 material, gives me 768p which scales down nicely from 1080i (it accepts both 720p and 1080i inputs).

However, if I feed it 16:9 material, it's forced to scale it down to 1024x576. It does this very well, so I don't notice artifacts, but 576p is a tad shy of HD720p which is also a little shy of native 768p.

The end result while displaying HD DVD certainly looks nice, but the projector is clearly out of it's depth and has convinced me I definitely need to upgrade to native 1920x1080. I've a 1366x768 Westinghouse in another room and it clearly does a better job of presenting HD DVD (looks best with 1080i input).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom