Problem with my Cambridge 851A Amplifier

John947

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently connected a new Turntable to my Cambridge 851A hifi stereo system but it will not create any sound at the speakers.The turntable seems to work ok, the record plays and the RCA line is plugged into the Pre-Amp white/Red sockets in the correct way as far as I can tell.
The Amp is in good nick and is connected to a Cambridge 651C Azur tuner which works well, albeit with a degree of signal hiss on FM when linked to my Loft Radio receiver.
Does anyone have a solution to either of these issues please? For such a quality product, this is really annoying me.
my email is [email protected] and am happy to receive emails about this if preferred.

Thanks

John Knight

Hi John,
you don't say what the TT is but if it doesn't have a built in phono stage you will need to connect one between the TT and the amp as the Cambridge doesn't have one either.
The raw output from the pickup cartridge is very low and won't work straight into a line level input like your tuner does.
The phono stage will amplify the tiny signal and provide RIAA correction. Examples are available from as little as £15 but the quality of such a thing is suspect and if the TT is anything like as good as your amp greater expenditure will be justified.
Let us know what the TT and pickup cartridge are and we can try to help further.
Jim

The TT is an ION Profile Pro and it must have a built-in Phono stage because it was working ok for some time then I had to disconnect it to relocate and when I re-connected it, there is no sound.
Have I plugged the RCA line into the Amp correctly? Is there a photo you could show me that will let me check this out?As you know, the 851A has a built-in Pre-Amp so its a bit of a puzzle.

Hmmm, I looked at the spec for the Ion and it seems pretty straight forward doesn't it?

Could you perhaps connect the USB output to a PC to eliminate the possibility of a fault in the pickup cartridge or arm wiring?

I have to say that beyond that I'm stumped for suggestions. The connections to the Cambridge should be straight forward and similar to those for the tuner so I can't imagine you have those wrong. Have you tried a different input?

Jim

Problem solved!!
I plugged the RCA line into SC5 and changed it to S5 on the remote and voila!
I must have forgotten the settings as rarely play the TT now.
Thanks for the assistance Jim!

Can you explain why, when I use the manual volume adjust on the front of the Amp, turning it anti-clockwise is increasing the volume and vv, which seems to be the wrong way round?

Ive only got one issue outstanding now. How can I eliminate/reduce the FM background Hiss ??I'm using a loft-mounted FM receiver with a booster but its still not very good.I cant use a wall-mounted radio-aerial of the T-type as there is nowhere I can attach it properly.I tried to replace the loft-aerial with the T-aerial in the loft but it was hopeless.Is there something that Audio buffs use for the Cambridge? I realise that FM varies all over the country so it may not be possible.

I'm assuming you mean 651T as 651C is a CDP.

Hiss is a sign of weak signal. So check that the aerial is indeed an FM one correctly aligned & check the connections. If you still can't improve it you may need to go external.

Tuners generally have an option to switch to mono, which should kill the hiss on weak reception. Looks like that's engaged by pressing & holding the Select/Mode button.

Azur 651C User Manual

If you're in Clacton as as your profile suggests then the transmitter appears to be Wrotham near Sevenoaks. So your aerial should be pointing roughly south-west rather than north-west of the TV aerial (assuming your tuned to Sudbury).

As a side issue I'd suggest editing your email address out of your original post.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom