Problem with my AVR300?

R

RoyN

I'm not sure if I have a problem or if the unit is operating normally. Hopefully someone can answer. I emailed my original question to the Arcam techsupport email address but I haven't gotten a response. I noticed that others have had the same response so at least it's not me. Anyways, to the real question....

I'm noticing that there's no output sound from an analog input source when I turn on the unit. I'm hoping to pipe the VCR's analog signals through the receiver along with my Directv's digital source signal and my DVD player's digital source signal. With the VCR source selected on the receiver, upon power up of the receiver, no sound will be coming out of my speakers. If I were then to play with the source select buttons, for example press the DVD source, then press the VCR source again, intermittently the sound will now be coming out of my speakers. I say intermittently because sometimes it takes anywhere from 1 to 10 cycles of pressing DVD, then back to VCR. But then again, very infrequently, upon power up of the receiver, the VCR's analog sound will be coming out of my speakers. Typically, I need to play with the source buttons to get the sound to come out. Any suggestions? Do you think that downloading the latest firmware will fix this? I was also wondering if I attempt this download, will it void my warranty?

The digital inputs from my satellite source and the DVD source are fine -- sound comes out EVERY time I select their signal sources.
Regards,
Roy

This happens occasionally on mine when I select the CD source (analogue) - I find that selecting another source and then selecting CD again solves the problem.

John

John,
Does this bother you? It bothers me.

HiFi Addict,
No not yet. I bought the null modem cable but was wondering if I do this, will it void my warranty. Didn't read the manual about that. Care to save me some time in looking through the manual?

RoyN

Got to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much as it doesn't happen all the time.

John

johndon said:
Got to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much as it doesn't happen all the time.

John

To tell you the truth, I came to expect this sort of bugs with British designed gear...my AVR300 sometimes lights ALL available LEDs, so I sigh and reset the unit.
Also, the latest update stops after ERASING... so there's no alternative besides turning off the power, leading to gibberish in the display and nothing working as it should, to my relief the amp was normal after a couple of resets.

But I don't want any other receiver, since I recently heard the expensive Pioneer VSX-10ax, the AVR300 sound is wonderful!
I wonder what the new Marantz 9600 will sound like- I recently flogged my Denon player and bought the DV9500, great sound to match the Arcam.

When I switch from DVD to an analogue input I often get no sound also. I switch to another input and back to the analogue one and it then works.

I tried updating the software to the latest version available a month ago. This did not help. I phoned Arcam who said they were not aware of the problem and told me to return the unit to my dealer. The hassle of disconnecting seven loudspeaker cables etc. has prevented me doing this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom