Problem with movies on Sky+ 160

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DavidMarq, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DavidMarq

DavidMarq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Sky multi-room with an HD box on the main subscription and a Thompson Sky+ 160 on the mirror subscription. I have the full Sky package.

On the 160 box Sky Movies Premiere, Prem +1, and Modern all exhibit picture freezing and stuttering. All other channels I have tested seem to be fine. This may have been happening since the EPG updated for the new movie categories but it is hard to say as my wife only uses the box intermittently when I have football on the HD box.

The HD box plays these channels fine.

I have checked all the connections to the box and the signal strength and quality is the same as it has always been.

I have tried unplugging the box, a planner rebuild and a forced software update. The forced software update cured the stuttering but left me with no sound on any channels. A power down and restart restored the sound but also the picture stuttering on the channels mentioned.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Anyone got any ideas what is going on?

I am going to phone Sky, but I thought I would ask here first as the advise is likely to be more helpful.

2. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sounds like another case of the dodgy Thomson sky+ box!

To test the dish/cabling swap the boxes over and see if the problem is reversed or cured. If not then the box is definitely suspect.

Cheers, Franc

3. DavidMarq

DavidMarq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have already done as you have suggested Franc and the 160 box is fine when connected up downstairs. The problem seems to be a loss of signal strength/quality over the cable taking the signal from the dish to the box upstairs. I do have f-connector joining pieces in this cable. If I run the box from the cables prior to the join it also works fine.

I have remade all the connections and this seems to have improved things for now. It is only a short run of cable of about 10 meters and has always previously been OK.

If the problem re-occurs I may have to consider re-cabling from the dish to the box without the joining pieces.

The full list of channels that were affected where all of those on 11.604 V which also contains the Anytime feeds. Maybe this is just coincidence.

Another strange coincidence is that a few hours after speaking to Sky (who told me it was definitely the box that was foobar :rolleyes: ), I get a call from Satellite Direct trying to sell me an extended warranty. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply.