1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Movie Maker on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Josie112, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have successfully saved images from my Handycam (HC40E) to my PC via Movie Maker for the first time. The problem I am having is that when I replay the edited movie it plays back, (via Windows Media Player), but in what I can only describe as 'day-glo' negative. Extremely bright, very 'wrong' colours. Any suggestions?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

4. sg4455

sg4455

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a very similar problem when transferring footage via USB. When using the DV out port the colours corrected themselve. I find this very strange as I always assumed that use of the USB port would simply result in a poor picture due to frame dropping

5. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not too familiar with the technical side of things and would be really grateful if you could explain your answer a little more in terms of 'when using the DV out port the colours corrected themselves'.

Did you end up with a 'normal' movie saved to your PC and, if so, exactly where/how do I connect the USB lead to achieve this? Also, do you know if using a firewire (Sony call this an i-link cable) instead of a USB lead would help?

6. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bingo. film images should be transferred on firewire (aka i-link, IEEE1394). the transfer rate is more stable at higher speeds. USB is only for still images. Get yourself a firewire lead & card (if your your PC doesn't already have one) and join the filming revolution. :devil:
    Brum

7. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your advice. I have ordred an i-link cable and will try it out as soon as it is delivered. I'm so pleased to be heading in the right direction at last.

Thanks again.

8. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the previous thread - I now have my firewire (4 pin to 4 pin as recommended) to connect my camcorder to my Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP. The problem is that I can't find anywhere on my PC to connect the firewire. I have spare USB ports but nothing that will take the firewire?

Thanks in advance.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Not all PC's have a built in firewire port. You may need to add a card that has the firewire ports, but don't worry as these are normally very cheap at around £10 for a desktop PC PCI card, or about £20 for a laptop PCMCIA card. The cards normally come supplied with a cable, so it looks like you will have a spare!

Mark.

10. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds fairly straightforward, thanks. Just a couple of questions though. If I buy a 'desktop PC PCI card' exactly what should description should I use to search for one on Ebay, (I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP), where does it go on my PC (inside or into a USB port, etc), and will I be able to 'install' it myself?

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Sorry, I wasn't sure if your Dell was a desktop or laptop PC. As it is a desktop then what you need is One Of These.
    This is an internal card that plugs into the motherboard in a spare PCI slot. Installation is very easy. Remove the cover, remove the expansion slot cover and slot the card into the motherboard. Put it all back together and XP will install the required drivers, so no CD's needed!

Mark.

12. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've ordered the card from Ebuyer and will (nervously) try and install it using your instructions when it arrives. Thank you and fingers crossed!

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Good Luck!

Mark.

14. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having followed the above (very helpful) advice I have received and installed the following firewire card 'PCI Firewire 1394A Card with 3 External and 1 Internal Port - OEM' from Ebuyer. The installation was straightforward, just as MarkE19 said it would be, and the card slotted straight in with a satisfying click.

Unfortunately, when I connected my camcorder to the PC using the firewire and the new card and tried to capture images neither of my editing programmes (I have both Movie Maker2 and Pixela) recognised the camcorder?

When I restarted my PC after installing the card I didn't see any messages re: the new hardware but thought this was due to Windows XP having the ability to recognise the new card automatically 'do the necessary' without being prompted, (pardon my lack of correct jargon).

Can anyone help please?