1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with MDR-EX71SL's - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by azmodien, Dec 17, 2004.

1. azmodien

azmodien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on these phones because I am not happy with the pair I just bought. I am not an audiophile by any means as I have been enjoying some cheapie buds until now. But these new Sonys dont even sound as good as my cheap $12 pair of Sony Fontopias.

I was extremely disappointed with the performance after my first listen, the treble is EXTREMELY shrill and harsh with an overall distorted sound. They dont sound like they are defective, they just sound cheap. There is definately plenty of detail but the harshness of the treble makes me cringe. I tried using the larger plugs, but there is not much difference. They are definatley seated in my canals correctly.

I am currently trying to burn them in. I have been playing them loudly for 48 hours straight through my Rio Carbon with a mix of different types of music. So far though, there is no noticeable difference.

Does anyone have any experieces they could share? 48 hours seems like a good burn-in time, or at least enough to notice a difference. Any help is appreciated.

2. Paragon

Paragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I gave mine away free as I absolutely hated the quality. I just think they're rubbish. Sorry I can't be more helpful but the treble *is* extremely bright, IMO. Be aware that a lot of people actually like bright treble, but I can't stand it.

3. azmodien

azmodien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "bright" is an understatement. It is way too harsh for an enjoyable listening experience.

4. Paragon

Paragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What can I say, some people seem to like it. Everything What Hi-Fi give a 5 star award to is very bright too. These people disturb me :p

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Take a look at the Sony MDR-E888... harder to find but superb :)

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Well I have the EX70s and I'm perfectly happy with them, bass and treble are fine ! Much better than any other in-ear phone I've had.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The EX71 are extremely bright and shrill. And they sound cheap because lets face it, they are cheap. The sound is tuned for people who equate accuracy of sound with piercingly high levels of treble and 'good sound' with bass quantity no matter how bad it is. Reports say that they do 'gracefully degrade' rather then 'burn in' and do become somewhat less bright after several hundred hours of listening. Will you hang around until then? Personally I'd buy a Sennheiser PX200 and put up with the slightly decreased isolation.

8. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Excuse me ? You just directly insulted my hearing. Everyone's hearing is different, just because something is shrill and piercingly high to you doesn't mean it's going to be for everyone.

The majority of reviews I've read have been nothing but good for the price and that doesn't include What Hi-Fi?

I can't stand overblown bass nor can I stand overly harsh and splashy treble.

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    OOps!

ordered a white pair of mdr-ex71's from amazon for £26 delivered. They won't get stock/dispatch till 2nd week Jan 2005 though.

Based on the fact that I have a iPod 20Gb 4th gen (which reviews have said gives a good balanced sound with these 'phones?), wouldn't these be ideal. Or should I get another pair?

I currently don't use the apple headphones but a pair of full over ear Sennheiser HD 575's (the sound is excellent, but unfortunately, as they're open backed the sound leaks out a lot and they're not to practical to wander around outside with).

Is the sound of these sony's worth even £26 ????

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    OK, well I can now do a direct comparison between the Shure E2c and Sony Mdr-ex70s (previous gen to the 71s).

- Sony's go lower tho this may slightly distort the upper-bass frequencies or muffle them
    - Initially the E2cs sound brighter than the Sonys to me but this quickly disappears

Anyways, overall I now prefer the E2cs tho they are over twice as much money ! They don't go down as low as the Sonys which surprised me somewhat but the sound is overall clearer. They are far more awkward to put in tho !

And don't even think about using the EQ on an iPod to increase bass, it just distorts completely, there was no extra bass just distortion. You shouldn't need tone controls anyways :)

11. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    You can find the Sony E888's on Ebay for under £30 shipped from Hong Kong. They are no longer available in the UK (I don't know if they ever were officially available here). I just ordered a pair for my iPod last week, but still waiting on delivery.

12. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Ok, here's my opinions on these phones:

Treble: very harsh/shrill at high volumes. I have had my iPod uncapped using GoPod, but have re-capped it euro 100dB max as above this, treble is too bright. Below this, though, treble is more acceptable (and more midrange shines through - shouldn't be listening to them too loudly anyway :) )
    Bass: Yes it's there, but no where near as good as my other cans (sennheiser HD575 symphony's - but then these are 5x more expensive). The extra bass is less noticeable because the treble is a tad high i think.
    Fitting: beautifully, too good in fact. In fact, so good that whereas before I used to simply turn the volume down/off to listen to people, I now have to take them out completely - no ambient noise at all - the bonus is that you therefore don't need such high volumes to hear the music (my iPod is usually set around the halfway mark now). Probably the most comfortable in ear phones i've used (btw-the inserts do make a difference, I've found medium sounds best)

Overall: not worth £35 from sony/dixons/high street etc
    ...but definitley worth a look if £26 (delivered) from the net.

I'm toying with the idea of fashioning some foam to place in the grey inserts to deaden the treble a bit....if it works i'll update y'all :)

13. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    UpdATE::::

I've found a fix.
    Get some simple cotton wool ear buds, pull some of the cotton wool off the end.
    Insert a small amount (enough to fill to the rim of the grey "caps" snugly) into the ends.
    Voila: Bass remains unnaffected, Midrange pretty much the same, treble markedly reduced......overall loudness slightly reduced :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Apologies for piccie quality, it was taken with my camera phone.
    The advantage is that you can replace the cotton easily (to keep it hygeinic)

Edit (see below): extremely dodgy ---- humble pie? what the fudge are you talking about? I stand by what I originally said....crap shrill treble (that needs this 'fix' to function as it should do in the first place....duh! :rolleyes:)......now go away and come back when you've grown a pair you silly prick :devil: )

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

So are you still of the same mind now? Or did the humble cake go down well? :devil: Besides, the EX70 and EX71 were different beasts to me. The 70 was somewhat muffled and boomy, whereas the 71 is irritatingly shrill.

15. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I tried the Sony's when I first got my 4th Gen iPod (was stunned by the shocking rubbish sound from the standard phones!)... a mate had recommended the Sony's so I thought that would be the last set of phones I'd need to buy for it... boy was I wrong!

They were aweful... to me only sounding a little bit better than the standard Apple (made by sony anyhow?!) affairs. I looked into the options out there a little more and settled on splashing out on the Shure E2C's... and I'm glad I did, they rock!

I do run the EQ with the bass booster on with mine and I don't get any distortion... not sure why pinkprobegt gets distortion with his Shure's though?!