1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Limit 9900 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scook17, Feb 17, 2003.

1. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My new Limit 9900 DVD player arrived today from Richer Sounds. It provides a really great picture and great sound, so I was quite impressed. It has a component output, so I connected it up to my Toshiba 56", component, rear projection TV and tried it. Sure enough the component inputs on the TV worked fine.

Then I noticed the DVD player has a 'PI' button which turns on progressive scan mode. You have to stop the player to change mode, so I did, pushed the button and now I get no picture. Ok, fine, so I push the button again, but still no picture. So I push play on the DVD player and sound, but no picture. I turn it off and on, but still no picture.

Help. Is there a way I can get this DVD out of progressive scan mode? Is there a reset switch somewhere or a 'turn on whilst holding down button x' to reset the player to it's defaults. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

2. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with my limit.

I don't know about a system reset, but what I found is that once you've pressed stop, the P/I button needs a double-press to get it to change mode (a single press just seems to display the current mode on the screen). It's a little hard to work out what's going on when you can't see the screen.

Hope that helps

Herman

3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scook17

Is there any chance that you may have changed the picture output settings on the player (ie from component to s-video or RGB)? I've done this before - very annoying. Some players still send a signal through component I think but some don't (including, from memory, the Limit).

Try an s-video or scart connection to see if you get the picture back.

Hope this helps. If not, take it back and get a new one.

Regards

Richard

4. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The problem is when you hit the P/I button you are switching inputs. So on my projector if im watching Progressive via component and press P/I I have to then change input selection on pj to S video. Which is how i take in an interlaced signal. i would omagine on a telly you will have to move through the ext channels to select various inputs

5. olli

olli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same trouble. With the excitement of new pj I turned ps on and after happily watching and switching off pj, when I tried to revert to telly the screen remained blank despite playing with p/i button on the remote of 9900se. It worked fine when I pressed the button once and press it again after a second or so.
    Seems tricky business.
    Good luck.
    Olli

6. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks guys. I have the player working again now. You have to press the PI button twice in quick succession. No having a picture is a bit worrying mind. I thought I'd broke it or the TV, so I'm just glad I don't have to send it back for a factory reset and look real dumb.

Yeah, I know you're all laughing cos you did this too when you first got the player. Hell, I don't mind, it's a great little player, especially for the money. Thanks everyone!

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

7. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    just ordered the Limit 9900se is this the model you all have?

I compared it to a Pioneer 454 & a Philips 763sa and it blew them both away,the Philips was the next best picture wise.
    Couldn`t believe it for the money!
    Rob
    :D

8. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have the Limit 9900 model. It's a great little product. I paid £160 for it, from Richer Sounds which included delivery. I previous had a Samsung 909 which cost around £400 when I first bought it several years ago when DVD players first came out. This player has everything the old one does, plus DVD-R compatibility (I've yet to test) and component video output. My TV looks sooooooooo much better using the component video inputs than with RGB, it's really rather amazing.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

9. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Shane,
    i guess i`m a little bit wary because it`s not a name i`ve heard of b4.
    It would b so easy to go with the Pioneer or Philips even though they have less of a spec because they r products i know and feel confident of.
    Although it`s only cheap as chips i don`t want to make a mistake, though judging from all of the above comments i won`t regret it........Hopefully.

Whats it sound like with music as i didn`t try that?

Rob

10. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. I have the 'SE' version. Anyone care to tell me the difference between the 9900 and 9900SE?

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.