Feriend

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a setup consisting of an LG TV connected to a Vizio sound bar through HDMI ARC (Vizio SB36514-G6 connected to the ARC HDMI port of an LG AOLED55B9PUA). I then have a sole PlayStation 5 connected to the sound bar, which I use for gaming and streaming television. I have had this setup for well over a year now with no issues, but for over a week it has suddenly started having issues.

First of all, my TV, sound bar, and PS5 are all up to date.

TV: Sound out is set to HDMI ARC, with digital sound set to Auto and eARC set to on. SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) is set to on, as is the Auto Device Detection and the Auto Power Sync options.

Sound Bar: Sound bar is set to HDMI ARC, though I occasionally switch it to Bluetooth when listening to music. I always switch it back to HDMI ARC when I’m done.

PS5: Audio out is set to HDMI Device (Sound Bar). The “Switch Output Device Automatically” setting is set to off. The “HDMI Device Type” is set to Sound Bar. The “Audio Format (Priority)” is set to Dolby. Video output settings are all set to automatic.

Again, I have had this exact setup for a very long time, and, to my knowledge, I haven’t switched any settings manually. Normally, using either the LG TV remote or the Vizio sound bar remote to control the audio automatically does so through the sound bar, bypassing the TV volume, which is what I would expect my setup to do.

Here is where I need to explain one weird quirk that my setup has had from day one. When I turn on my TV and/or PS5, the PS5 audio automatically connects to the sound bar via HDMI ARC, which is expected. However, when I press the PlayStation button on my PS5 controller for the first time since turning it on, something odd happens with the HDMI ARC audio connection, which is made apparent by the lights on the sound bar lighting up a certain way. It doesn’t normally affect the audio or video output at all, the sound bar lights just blink momentarily like it’s reconnecting to something, and like I said, it will only do this once per sitting. The only issue that has arisen from this in the past is the fact that if I’m listening to music on the sound bar via Bluetooth while also playing a game on my PS5, pressing the PlayStation button on the controller will switch the audio back to HDMI ARC instead of Bluetooth, interrupting my music. I’ve always wondered why this happens, and it is a little annoying though not a frequent problem. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why this happens and offer a fix, but it’s not my biggest focus right now.

Anyway, here is where my current issue comes into play. For the past week and a half or so, using the PlayStation button on my PS5 controller kills the ability to control the volume on my sound bar. I can still hear the audio coming from the sound bar as well as my wireless satellite speakers and subwoofer normally, I just can’t control the volume anymore. The only temporary fix that I have found for this is to use the Vizio sound bar remote to cycle the input on the sound bar back to HDMI ARC, but this only lasts until I press the PlayStation button on my PS5 controller again.

If this doesn’t sound that bad, take into consideration the fact that I need to press that PlayStation button to: turn on or off the controller, switch games or apps, go back to the system home page, view my friends list, join a chat party, switch the audio input to my headset, set my online status, etc. Doing any of these things used to not cause any problems (unless I was listening to music via Bluetooth, as explained earlier), but now doing any of them means I lose volume control until I grab my sound bar remote and cycle back through to HDMI ARC, even though it’s still set to that input.

As for potential fixes, I’ve tried messing with various settings. I’ve tried turning SIMPLINK on and off, I’ve tried turning eARC on and off, I’ve tried turning just one or the other on and off. I’ve tried turning the auto device detection and sync settings on and off. I’ve tried unplugging the sound bar and the TV for various amounts of time. I’ve tried running the sound bar setup through the device app on my phone.

None of these actions have even remotely solved the issue, not even temporarily. I understand that others have been having similar issues lately with their LG TVs, and so I’ve been bolding pertinent and common information that I am seeing in other threads and forums. I hope this post isn’t an exact repost of someone else’s problem, but I haven’t seen any setups quite the same as mine, and nothing I’ve tried based on other posts has worked. I’m really hoping that, as specific as this issue is, someone out there has had a similar issue that they’ve solved or just knows how to fix it on my end. It’s not the end of the world— thankfully I can still use all my devices— but it is extremely aggravating, and it’s driving me crazy.

Thanks so much in advance!

ARC is not a strict standard differences in its implementations can cause issues as can firmware updates were it changed its behaviour.

1- Disable eARC on the TV, your soundbar does not support according to its manual.

2 - Disable HDMI-CEC in PS5 via settings->system->HDMI 'Enable HDMI Device Link' that is what allows the PS5 to control the TV and send volume commands.

See how it goes with that.

ARC is not a strict standard differences in its implementations can cause issues as can firmware updates were it changed its behaviour.

1- Disable eARC on the TV, your soundbar does not support according to its manual.

2 - Disable HDMI-CEC in PS5 via settings->system->HDMI 'Enable HDMI Device Link' that is what allows the PS5 to control the TV and send volume commands.

See how it goes with that.
Hello, I appreciate the quick reply!

I went in and changed those settings before taking off for work this morning. It seems to have worked, though I didn’t get to sit and mess with it too much. Hoping it continues to work though!

Thanks a ton, you’re a life saver!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom