Problem with LG 42LF66 LCD TV

fabregas04

Novice Member
Reaction score
Over the last month or so I have been having a constant problem with the LG 42LF66 TV. The TV was working fine then in the last month the picture would disappear with the sound still working. Turning the TV off and back on would solve the issue most of the time. But in the last week it turns on for 5 minutes or so then the picture totally disappears. Turning it back off and back on doesn't make any difference still no picture.

Does the problem lie with the main PCB board or the T-Con Board ?

Having this exact same issue with my LG 55LN5710. The TV turns on and works great for about 10-15 minutes before the screen goes dark. After some research I did the flashlight test, and turned out it was the backlights turning off. I confirmed this by removing the back cover and testing it all in a dark room.

Some more research suggested it may be the power supply/LED driver board. I ordered the spare part from shopjimmy and installed it yesterday. Same thing happened again.

It may end up being the T-Con board, but at least from what I've seen online, T-failure has different symptoms. I'd like to get some more input before I order another part I may not need.

The most infuriating part of my thing is the TV is only 2 years old and and probably seen less than 40 hours of use. Finally started using it 2 weekends ago when I moved my PS3 over to it. Worked great then, but then 2 days later this started happening.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a somewhat similar problem regarding the backlight, but it is a repeatable problem that is difficult to figure out. Sometimes, at random times, my 37" LG's backlight won't illuminate when the unit is turned on. If I go to the power saver section on the remote, and turn off the screen, when I turn it back on (by clicking the remote button), the screen illuminates properly for about 3 seconds, then turns back off. I can see the picture when the backlight is out (using a flashlight), but the backlight won't stay illuminated.
It seems like a coding issue VS a hardware failure, since it is repeatable to get the backlight to re-illuminate, which tells me the power supply circuit works properly, just won't stay illuminated. I can get the screen to illuminate every time by turning he screen off, then it briefly re-lights when the screen is turned back on automatically by using the remote and clicking the enter button. I can do this a million times, and it sometimes stays illuminated like it should and will not turn off again until the unit is turned off. When turning it back on...its a crap shoot as to the chances of the backlight coming on. Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom