Problem With iPod Classic

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SBanga, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I received my iPod Classic on Tuesday and other than a low headphone output, it's been fine. However, today I was listening to some music and when I selected a song, it didn't play anything. Then I tried some other tracks and it still wouldn't play them. After trying about 5 or 6 different songs, it eventually froze. Now I can't get it to respond at all. It's stuck with its light on, showing the name of the song I was trying to play. There is nothing actually being played and connecting it to iTunes yielded no results.

Any ideas? :confused: At the moment, my only option seems to be to let the battery go flat and then try connecting it back up to my computer.

2. gerdav

gerdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Mine has frozen twice on me so far. The first time, I got the Apple logo until I used the procedure mentioned by gerdav.

The second time, it just stopped whilst playing through a dock. I pressed play and it was fine again, and has not missed a beat since.

My only complaints with the Classic compared to the 5.5g are the quiet headphone output, and slow UI in album and cover flow modes. Both these seem standard, so no real problems I suppose.

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. Kurt_Wylde

Kurt_Wylde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Looks like there's definately issues with the Classics though..
    Both the 80GB & 160GB models are having massive issues with the Coverflow art causing them to hang and reboot.

Hopefully a firmware issue will resolve it.. my replacement does it, so it's not hardware related.

6. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've noticed a few bugs with mine. When I first got it, the Podcasts item was displayed in the top level menu even though it wasn't selected in the "main menu" settings item - I had to tick and then untick it to get it to go away.

The sort function on TV Shows is also broken - it seems to sort by broadcast date only, which is fine for material you have downloaded, but stuff you have ripped yourself and filed as TV Shows sorts alphabetically by episode name whatever you do, and you can't get to the broadcast date field to change it.

Also on some of my photos, hitting the centre button from the browse menu switches to a black screen, while hitting play displays the same photo correctly as part of a slideshow.

I'm pretty sure these are all 1.0 software bugs - a firmware patch should fix them.

Oh, and just to rant - why is it that iTunes only needs to have cover art embedded in a single file in an album to display it for all songs in that album, but on the iPod, you have to embed the same cover art image in every single MP3, wasting masses of space? I wouldn't mind, but the iPod doesn't even use the embedded art - it pulls cover art from a database prepared for it by iTunes, so it is *completely* wasted space having it in every file. With an average decent quality cover at 50k, and say 10 tracks per album, this approach wastes the best part of half a megabyte per album - if you have 1000 albums, that's half a gigabyte of useful storage gone.

7. J0hnEast0n

J0hnEast0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have noticed a few problems with mine too...

First day i had it the screen was all over the place!! Red bits and blue bits splashed all over it. Restoring it seemed to solve that problem.

Sometimes when i select a song to play, it will just play the next one in the list, so i have to go back and select it again to play the right song.

The 'sound check' feature doesnt really work, numourous songs play unusually loud and when the volume is right down to zero its still playing quite loud.

Some of the album artwork doesnt appear when im in 'shuffle songs'. It only appears when i got to artists>album>song bla bla....

Hope the bug fixes come out soon...

John

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I have not tried sound check yet, but I have noticed that mine still plays quite audibly when the volume is on zero - weird!