1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with HT200 and Iscan Pro...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by VintageMark, Jun 14, 2003.

1. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi….

Hope you can bear with me on this one… it’s quite complicated! :)

I’m having a problem which I’m pretty convinced was/is my Iscan Pro… but it’s been to Owl Video servicing and they say there is nothing wrong with the Iscan.

A few weeks ago when watching a film I noticed the picture was “drifting” from one side to the other and then back again. Each shift would take around 5 or 6 minutes and would move the picture about 2 or 3 inches in each direction.

At first I was convinced the Iscan had broken because when the Iscan is removed from the process the problem goes away, however, Owl say the Iscan is fine, and, crucially, I realised that without the Iscan, the picture is being fed to my HT200 projector via the S-Video or Component inputs rather than 15pin VGA graphics input which is where the Iscan feeds from.

Is it possible for only one input on a projector to be faulty? I.e. steady picture on S-Video and Component, but drifting picture on the 15pin VGA graphics input?

The Iscan came back to me yesterday and the problem is still present, I did some more experimenting and determined it must be something to do with the projector (I think) because when the picture has drifted to the left or right, I am able to use the Projector remote to adjust the image position back to the centre. However, 5 minutes down the line and the image has drifted again.

The Sim2 HT200 is on firmware 1.21S, and the Iscan is all up to date according to Owl.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing my problem?

Failing all else I’m hoping to borrow a colleagues identical Iscan Pro is a few weeks and determine once and for all whether the projector is the problem or the Iscan.

But in the mean time it’s driving me insane! :)

Any help very much appreciated!

Mark.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Sounds very mysterious...... what are you using to play dvds ? (if your using Iscan I presume it's not HCPC........)

EDIT::: Oh bums..... just realised that my brain wasn't fully engaged when I was reading your post - sorry !!!!

You should check if the VGA input on the HT200 is working by connecting a PC - just display a desktop @ 800x600 and see if the drift is still there - try using it with and without the same cable as you use from the Iscan to see if there's something dodgey with the VGA cable - any computer will do, laptop, whatever..... That may identify if the VGA input is the culprit, or if the HT200 is having problems locking onto it.

Sorry can't be more help, hope you get sorted out - come back and tell us if you do..........

Sean G.

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

I'm using a Pioneer DV737 with Component out to feed DVD's...

But I also feed it the Sky signal and the problem still occurs...

As far as I can see it has to be:

a) the Iscan

or

b) the 15pin VGA input to the projector which is faulty...

Feeding the picture direct to the projector without the Iscan present (from Svideo or component) does not produce the problem...

Very frustrating!

Mark.

4. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

I've just used a new cable (15pin from Iscan to Component input on Projector)...

And the problem still occurs... that eliminates the 15pin input on the projector as the source of the problem...

These means (I think) that its either definately a fault with the Iscan (which Owl say it isnt)... or... there is a compatibility issue between the Iscan and firmware 1.21S on the HT200...

Is anyone aware of any issues? Is 1.21S the latest?

Many thanks,

Mark.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    By swapping out the cable you have only confirmed the cable is OK, not the actual projector input. I'd try a PC in to it as suggested. I'd also consider trying component out of Iscan in to component of SIM2 to see what happens

Gordon

6. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon...

Probably didnt explain myself very well...

My original cable was a 15pin (from the Iscan) to 15pin in on the projector.

My new cable was a 15pin (from the Iscan) to 3 x phono component on the projector...

Both inputs exhibit the problem (15pin in and component in)...

I've also tried my laptop into the projectors 15pin in socket and this did not reproduce the problem (I should have added this earlier)...

All of this points very firmly at the Iscan... but Owl had the Iscan on the test bench for almost 2 weeks and insist that it is ok...

Hence my question about HT200 firmware and Iscans...

Anybody know if there is a problem?

Many thanks,

Mark.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
  8. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon...

Deep down I know you are right...

But they just charged me £75 to look at the Iscan and tell me nothing is wrong...

I dread to think what they will charge me to look at both items to see whats wrong!

Hence my plea for help first! :)

Mark.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    OK, Alternative idea. Do you have a dealer nearby who has a demo HT200 you can go and try your iScan on? Or perhaps you could try and finda forum member who would let you do a wee check out at theirs.

Gordon

10. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

I will have to check out the dealers...

My main hope at the moment is a colleague who has an Iscan Pro (bought at the same time as mine).... I'm hoping to borrow it shortly and see if the problem occurs with that unit...

Many thanks!

Mark.

11. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm having problems with my sim2 dmf.

In interlaced mode it works fine, but when running through a progressive scan dvd player about 50 percent of the time the image shakes up and down.

I fix this by turning off the projector and turning it on again. The problem could be the dv88+, the input box or the projector itself.

It seems to me like it is the projector/input box that is at fault - probably a faulty board on the sim2 that accepts progressive scan inputs.

Does this issue happen everytime or just some of the time? Have you tried turning the projector off and then on again while keeping the iscan and dvd playing?

CaM

12. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cam,

The projector has been powered on and off several times.. (although not with the DVD running)...

I'm definately borrowing my colleagues Iscan tomorrow... so by tomorrow evening I should be able to state fairly definatively whether the Iscan or HT200 is to blame.

As an aside... my HT200 has always been sensitive to the power on sequence...

i.e. If the projector is on and running before the DVD player... the projector goes through an "auto configure" setting before the DVD appears and this usually results in me having to completely change all my settings back in... (my colleagues does this as well)..

If the DVD is running first however... the PJ comes on fine...

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow..

Edit: I should have said... the image drift problem occurs at all times with all sources... (except when the Iscan is removed)..

Many thanks,

Mark.

13. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All...

I have an update!

I've borrowed my colleagues Iscan Pro... and... the problem still occurs!

So althought the problem doesnt appear at all when no Iscan is present... it also now seems unlikely that the Iscan is directly responsible...

I'm guessing (completely) that the Iscan is merely changing the output frequency in some way which is upsetting my HT200...

The only difference between mine and my colleagues HT200 is that mine is on firmware 1.21 whereas his is much older (1.16 I think)...

Is anyone aware of any issues with 1.21? Is it the latest firmware do you know?

Also... the Image adjust menu on the HT200 has two slider bars for "Frequency" and "Phase"... does anybody know how you are supposed to adjust these?

Many thanks,

Mark.

14. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I've managed to solve most of my problems with my dv88+ and sim2 dmf. On the dv88+ there is a hidden menu in the setup which allows the turning on/off of CRT mode. I turned this off and I now get all my settings saved when the sim2 is turned on. I also don't get any of the screen judder that I used to. It's just as well the dv88+ has some sort of compatibilty mode to go with troublesome projectors like the sim2.

I can still see faint wavering lines though so something is causing interferance. I'm not sure what the frequency and phase is for but I do know that some people have made there image better by adjusting these.

From what I can tell, I would say the problem is with the sim2. Also, I think there is a new software update out for the sim2.

CaM

15. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cam,

I've spoken to Owl and Sim2 now... (who by the way have apparently split off from Owl and now have their own offices in the UK).

As of last week 1.21 was the latest firmware. I've also got 1.20 and 1.17 now as well so that I can try a roll back test.

I have one test left with the Iscan (new power supply) and then I intend to roll the firmware back a version.

Mark.