Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problem with Hitachi 42PD7200?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Bleeders, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I noticed this yesterday, on two different Region 1 films (Life Aquatic and Assault of Precinct 13), the contrast-level flicked for about a split second on various scenes throughout the film. I managed to replicate the problem on exactly the same scenes to try and ensure it's not a random occurrance.

I've got the Hitachi rigged up via Component Progressive Scan to a Denon 500SD and I didn't notice this before-hand with a Region 2 copy of Creep. Similarly, Sky+ and my console contingent seem to be fine as well.

I've tried various tweaks on the panel itself to no success, the only solution left to me is swapping my component cable for the Belden USA one I've got for my downstairs projector.

Any ideas on what could be causing this because it's even noticable to the missus'?

TIA

2. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Is it worth resetting the panel back to factory default?

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It's one of the auto settings mate, but can't remember which.
    I saw it last night, after much messing about with settings.
    It generally happens after a scene shift and is most noticable going from light to dark and vice-versa.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, but at least it's nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

4. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks mate, got it sussed yesterday by using the settings in the other Hitachi 7200 thread. XD

5. Fillip

Fillip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the look of the 42pd7200 but can't find details of the video connections and there is no file on Hitachi's database. Can someone please tell me if any one of the 3 scarts are RGB/component only or are if there is a yuv video connection.

6. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    AV 2 & 3 are RGB compatible, and if you mean component video connection, yes there is one.

7. Fillip

Fillip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'm very new to this so please don't get too p'ed off as I have another few questions. The component video in is a 3 lead RGB with BNC connectors is that correct?
    Am I right in assuming that its best to connect my NTL digibox to my DVDR by RGB scart and DVDR to the 42pd7200 by the 3 lead component video.Again thanks in advance.

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Yes to both.

9. Fillip

Fillip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to the latest question. I will be connecting up a sony amp to run 5.1 surround sound, would it be advisable to remove the plasma speakers or? Are the NTL digiboxes RGB and if so would it be better to purchase an RGB ONLY scart from QED for example?

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Depends - if you don't intend on using the TV speakers then I guess it's purely down to aesthetics as to whether you remove them or not. Personally I only use my 5.1 system very occasionally so use the TV speakers an awful lot. There's certainly no harm leaving them in place even if you don't intend to use them.

As for your digibox question: I don't have an NTL digibox but I'd be hugely surprised if it was not RGB-capable...although I'm not too sure what it is you are asking re: cables...please clarify...

Dan

11. Fillip

Fillip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression from reading various threads on this forum that if the only video connection between to 2 appliances was an RGB out to an RGB in it would be beneficial to use an "RGB only" scart as per the attached example, http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7500.html?id=Uo36NmxB
    I understand that I would have to connect separate audio cables
    Please tell me if this is not the case.Thanks

12. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Ah ok, I've not seen these cables before, I guess they are wired with only the essential wires to avoid interference from the composite and audio wires...nice!

To be honest I'd save your money and use an off-the-shelf SCART, the broadcast quality from cable is not really likely to warrant purchasing a special cable for it. I use a basic SCART from my SKY box and the PQ is more than satisfactory.

13. Fillip

Fillip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I might have a few more questions further down the line if you don't mind me harrassing you.

14. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Heh, no of course not :)

15. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    True on the Sky front, it's just not worth putting money into an expensive SCART since broadcast quality is pokey at best IMO.

I bought a Thor SCART (which doesn't fit in both AV 1 & 2 ¬_¬) and could see no real difference between that and my Monster SCART I'd been using previously. I'm sure when Sky HD comes around, that'll change but in the meantime, it's not really worth it.

16. raju

raju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bleeders & any body who had a similar problem
    -------
    I have connected the Sky box using a scart to AV2 of 42pd7200, It seems i am having a problem similar to yours that is when there is a transistion from one frame to another the picture appears to be grainy. Can you please tell me which thread you have used to sort your problem.

Thanks.

17. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    There's a thread kicking around called, "PD7200 Picture Settings" I think it is, I used the settings posted by myself in that particular thread and it cleared the problem up for me.

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It's the auto contrast setting.
    I think the consensus is, you set all auto settings to something else, then set your own settings (if you see what I mean).

Basically, don't use any auto settings :thumbsup:

Also, importantly (and something I didn't realise at first), the settings are different for every connection and will go to default when you plug something new in (although your old settings on any earlier connection are saved).

I know I haven't made that crystal clear, but hope it helps.
    I can explain better if you ask, but won't be back in till tommorrow evening.

19. raju

raju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the settings of Bleeders as a base and reduced the colours a bit. On some chanels the picture looks better, but the skin does look a bit orangey and some times the white background is enhaced to very bright light. Any ideas.

20. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Keep playing.
    It adds to the fun.

If white is too strong , reduce the brightness a bit.
    And if your telly is new, turn brightness and contrast DOWN for the first 100 hours, IMO, even if you think it's too dark.

An Avia or DVE disk will help too.
    Just do a search.
    I strongly recommend either, as it will help you understand what does what :thumbsup:

The more you play, the better you will get it and I firmly believe the picture gets better after running-in :thumbsup: