Question Problem with HDMI over Cat5

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by JohnV, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnV

JohnV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I am using a HDMI HDBaseT extender from NEET between my lounge and bedroom. The TV in the lounge is using the HDMI 1 output from my Yamaha RX-V777 receiver, while the transmitter of the HDMI extender is plugged into the HDMI 2 output.

A couple lengths of Cat5 are routed to my bedroom, but with HDBaseT I am using only one.

Fundamentally the video and sound output from the receiver is transmitted fine to the bedroom on either cable.

The issue I am having is that when the bedroom TV is switched on from being powered off no signal is displayed. It appears from the receiver that the reason for this is that the receiver is not recognising that HDMI 2 is connected to a powered on display so it is not attempting to output anything via HDMI 2. If, however, I disconnect and reconnect the the ethernet cable at the receiver end of the extender the HDMI 2 output of the receiver is triggered and video and sound is displayed on the bedroom TV as normal. Clearly this is a hassle every time one wants to use the tv in the bedroom.

I have experimented with a very short length of cable moving both parts of the extender into the lounge and with that it would appear to work with the tv successfully triggering the HDMI output of the receiver when switched on. This to me would suggest a cabling issue, but that appears to go against the fact that video and sound can be transmitted fine.

So I'm looking for an ideas or suggestions for what I could be missing? The cables routed to the bedroom from the lounge cannot be replaced easily.

I have thought that a fall back would be to split the hdmi output from my Virgin box before going into the receiver as the setup appears to work fine when the output is always on, i.e. doesn't need to be triggered, but that would limit the tv in the bedroom to only using the virgin box and exclude other sources feeding into the av receiver. Additionally, whereas the av receiver automatically adjusts the output resolution to the lowest monitor attached, it would presumably with this set-up have to be fixed, which would prevent a 4K screen in the lounge and a 720/1080 screen in the bedroom.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. JohnV

JohnV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd add that the ethernet cable can be disconnected and reconnected whether the bedroom tv is in standby or turned on. If in standby the next time it is turned on it seems to trigger the av receiver ok.

3. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi John,
    I have the same NEET HdBaseT extender and have something similar...

My AVR is upstairs and only has one output which is connected to the Neet transmitter. 15-20metres of cat6 downstairs to the living room and into the Neet receiver, HDMI out to the TV.

When I turn on my TV, it does not always find a signal from the HdBaseT receiver. All of the Neet Transmitter & Receiver LED's are lit appropriately and the TV shows that "hdmi 1" is powered and active, but a picture is not always shown on the screen.

However, when this happens, the problem fixes itself within 15-20 seconds, or a quick press of the relevant source button on the AVR remote fixes it instantly. I assumed it was something to do with the EDID handshaking between the various devices.

4. JohnV

JohnV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply. It may be slightly different, e.g. the middle green light on the extender is always generally blinking when the bedroom tv is off as if it is standby mode, while the other green light is off. When I turn the tv on and it doesn't display a picture this situation remains. It's only when I disconnect and reconnect an end of the ethernet cable that the middle light goes solid green and the other green light comes on with the picture/sounds.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,229
    Two options - A. replace the HDBT kit with a different design or B. Stick an EDID Manager on the second Output of the AVR to ensure the AVR is always seeing an active Sink on that Output. We stock/supply the Dr HDMI (it's around £75) if you want to try one out.

Joe

6. JohnV

JohnV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion; appreciate it. Would inserting the "Dr HDMI" on the HDMI 2 out of the AVR before going to the extender effectively limit the AVR's output resolution to that of the display connected to HDMI 2 on AVR, even when the bedroom display on HDMI 2 is turned off, without re-jigging the wiring, i.e. limiting the ability to watch 4K in the lounge?

John

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,229
    If you have a 4K Source and wish to view it at 4K on the Lounge Display it will be likely simpler to toggle the AVR HDMI Output to A rather than A+B.

Where you wish to view a Source on both Displays (A+B) or the Bedroom (B) you will need to l;limit the Source to a format the Bedroom Display caters for.

You can set multiple EDID modes on the Dr HDMI and manually toggle it between modes - though using the AVR A-B Output toggle via IR is likely a simpler solution.

Joe