Problem with HDMI Connection on Youview Box

benny5

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem with HDMI Connection on Youview Box

I’m experiencing problems with the connection between my Youview Box (Huawei) and my TV (Sony). It’s only started recently and occurs when the TV is switched from 'Standby' to 'On' using the YV Boxes remote which has been programmed to control the TV.

With the boxes’ ‘aerial TV through’ switched off the TV powers up but displays NO SIGNAL. By changing the TV’s input source to the appropriate HDMI port then the output is fine.

I have tried 4 different HDMI cables; also, I have switched between all of the TV inputs (4) all with the same results.

However, if I ‘play about’ with the cable input at the Box it seems to work ok.

Is this a potential problem with the Boxes HDMI connections or is it likely to be something else?

Regards,

Benny.

What if you have the box's "aerial TV through" switched on?
If it's what I think it is and you have got your TV's aerial daisy chained through the box, then the box is not 'forwarding' the TV signal, so the TV gives the 'NO SIGNAL' error message assuming the the TV defaults to the aerial input at switch on.
Which cable are you 'playing about' with?

Thank you for such a prompt response.

What if you have the box's "aerial TV through" switched on?
I tried both scenarios with the same outcome.

If it's what I think it is and you have got your TV's aerial daisy chained through the box, then the box is not 'forwarding' the TV signal, so the TV gives the 'NO SIGNAL' error message assuming the the TV defaults to the aerial input at switch on.
While my setup has remained unchanged the problem has only just emerged.

Which cable are you 'playing about' with?
It’s the HDMI cable, by moving it slightly it seems to work, as if it’s got a loose connection.

Regards,

Benny.

Incidentally when I use a SCART connection everything works fine other than no HD channels.

While my setup has remained unchanged the problem has only just emerged
But you didn't answer my question. I might have a suggestion to make to test stuff, depending on your answer.
Have you got your TV's aerial daisy chained through the box?

Last edited:
Have you got your TV's aerial daisy chained through the box?

Sorry, should have said Yes. It’s an external aerial into the back of the box and looped through to the TV.
If I plug the aerial directly into the TV and using the TV remote everything is fine.

Irrespective of any problems that may or may not be there...re-baseline everything by resetting the HDMI interface of both devices.

Do this by disconnecting power from both devices for at least 10 minutes.

When you reconnect power and power the devices up, ensure that you turn on the TV first before any peripheral equipment.

Thanks for the answer. It is as I suspected. I was going to suggest plugging the aerial direct into the TV, but you have already done that and posted the positive result.

Do what Gavtech suggested re. the HDMI reset, but if when you have the aerial plugged into the box with your patch lead to the TV, the problem still exists, then it is one of two things. Either the patch lead is faulty (most likely) or the feed through amp in the box has failed (less likely) so try a new patch lead. If that doesn't work, then get a two way splitter, plug the aerial into the input and take one output to the box and the other to your TV.

My guess would be that you have an adequate signal level to overcome the loss in the splitter. The signal level would have to be extremely marginal for it not to work.

Really appreciate all the input.

Well I’ve given all of that a good go and this was the outcome.

HDMI ‘refit’ – No impact.

Patch lead exchange – Tried this with three different leads, no impact.

Two way splitter – I get a YVM302 message weak or low signal.

My current situation is this;

TV on standby, Box with TV's aerial NOT daisy chained and then the TV is switched on.
Result, no output as it endeavours to find a TV channel. (previously this would default to the Box output)

I can then get a picture via the box by one of two means;

Changing the source input to the box.

Or

Playing about with the HDMI cable input to the box, the picture comes on.

It’s as if the functionality driving the Box/TV signal handshake is temperamental.

Incidentally the signal quality is 100% with strength typically 50%+.

Two way splitter – I get a YVM302 message weak or low signal.
On what? The TV or from the box?
Incidentally the signal quality is 100% with strength typically 50%+.
On what? The TV with the aerial directly plugged, or the box?

The weak/low signal message is from the box connection.
While the signal strength/quality is also from the box, obviously after I have established a connection via cable manipulation or input selection.

The TV signal quality/strength via the TV is 100/90+%.

I give in.

I give in.
I really appreciate all your thoughts and efforts in assisting me with this problem.

I have continued to experiment and have now discovered that by switching the box off and then on immediately after switching the TV on everything works as it should.

There must be a glitch somewhere, but I can live with it now that I have a simple fix.

Once again thanks for all the input.

Benny.

It's probably an HDMI handshake issue. The TV needs to be powered on before the YV box so they can perform handshake/HDCP.

It's probably an HDMI handshake issue. The TV needs to be powered on before the YV box so they can perform handshake/HDCP.

Would that theory support my earlier point that I can get it to work when I ‘manipulate’ the HDMI cable at its entry point to the box? Having already tested other cables then would it follow there is a fault with the box.

What you are probably doing when you manipulate the HDMI lead is to break its contact with the TV, thus it has to re-negotiate the handshake routine.
So Basically,m the TV has to be on when the box is powered up. As was said by Gavtech at post '#7 and John7.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom