• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Problem with HDD on Sony Bravia

I'mStuckInMyTV!

Hi there.

I've recently connected an external HDD to my Sony Bravia TV but I keep getting the message about the registered HDD being detected popping up every few minutes. This is annoying and very distracting when trying to watch TV; is there a way to disable that message or what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

I'mStuckInMyTV!

In addition, having the HDD connected seems to be affecting the remote's operation with the TV - buttons either don't work at all or have a severely delayed reaction.

chipray

You don't mention which Sony TV or what type of HDD, or even whether your current set-up is allowing any recording. I can only advise from my own experience in this area; I have only ever used a brand new 2.5" portable HDD with each TV or tuner, without a USB hub or extension cable, and always check the websites for manufacturer's recommendations. My first attempt at a solution would be to try a different HDD.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you could try unplugging the TV for 10 minutes - this usually works on other equipment when remote becomes unresponsive, but i have never had that on the Sony TV. You could try deregistering the HDD, plugging it into a PC for a re-format then back to the TV to be registered again. Also make sure the TV has the latest firmware.

My Sony 46W905A has been happily recording and playing back for 2 years now, using a Freecom 1TB drive I picked up from the local supermarket. I have a 1TB WD Passport with the Technomate TM5403HD satellite tuner; this has been a happy combination for 18 months. Another 1TB WD Passport has lived happily on my Samsung 40D8000 for over 3 years. I have tried extending the USB cables but it doesn't work; only the cable supplied with the drive should be directly connected to the USB socket on the TV. Having no support within 10 inches of the TV, my Freecom drive just dangles freely (!) by its own short cable and as I said, has been doing so for 2 years.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom