1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with HDD in Panasonic DMR-E100H Please Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Julian Robinson, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Julian Robinson

Julian Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can give me some advice with the following problem.
    Whilst erasing a program from the hard drive of my Panasonic DMR-E100H DVD/HDD recorder, the system crashed and restarted itself. After the restart, any attempt to record on, delete or edit programs on the HDD resulted in the following error message - "This disk is for playback only, cannot record/erase/edit." Even trying to play back programs already recorded was giving problems (sticking, playing a different program to the one selected). The only option left was to format the HDD, which seemed to go ok, but then the system reset itself and is now stuck in a constant loop of startup, self check, shutdown, startup, self check, shutdown. The only way to stop this was to physically pull the mains out. Has anybody seen this problem before? Please help.
    :lease:

2. inspectapart

inspectapart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m sorry to say that I can`t help solve your problem as I`m not a dvd expert, however , on an even gloomier tack I will say that I have bought two Panasonic dvd recorders in the past 6 months, the first completely clunked out by not recording or playing, and the latest one which is a DMR E85 hard drive has just shown its first error in recording and that makes me very suspicious of the quality of Panasonic DVD recorders. If this one plays up again I shall not buy another Panasonic anything. As for your problem, it is certain that it ain`t your fault and that means there`s something amiss with your player. Take it back and get it repaired or get a refund. I have been told that when these things go wrong, it is not often economical to repair them so if it is still under guarantee, they may well end up replacing it.
    Bob. :nono: http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1642865#
    No No

3. Julian Robinson

Julian Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Ended up taking the unit in to be repaired, the firmware had become corrupt.
    They are going to flash it with the latest version, unfortunatly this will make the unit region 2 only (i bought it premoded to multiregion).
    Does anybody know the most reliable method of hacking the E100 to multiredion again (and if the firmware is available to download so I can install it myself if I have this problem again)

4. Stuart McLean

Stuart McLean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic units can only be made multi-region by use of either a chipped remote or a Panasonic service disc (or of course a firmware flash).
    The E100 uses the chipped remote method, a good source for these is http://www.multiregionupgrades.co.uk I have used them myself and they provided a good service.
    Unfortunately I know of no where to download a multi-region firmware for the E100 sorry.

5. Julian Robinson

Julian Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Stuart.
    Ill give them a try, always good to get a recommendation of a company before sending off money.
    It was just the standard region 2 firmware I was looking for (i have been charged £65 for the company to flash the unit with the standard firmware, and if the same fault happens in the future i would like to avoid the expense if i can flash the unit myself)

6. Julian Robinson

Julian Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update on this problem.
    The firmware flash didn't solve the problem.
    The service guy said the main digital control board that controls the recording and play back of the HDD had developed a fault, as the unit was out of quarantee (i bought it multiregion from Techtronics a couple of years ago) the estimate for the repar started at £300 and could be as much as £500, so obviously I didnt get it repaired. He put the latest firmware on it and the unit functions perfectly well as a DVD player so i am using as a secondary player in the bedroom.(if the unit is switched to HDD mode it will go into the same selftest restart cycle as before and will need to be reflashed so i'm very careful with what buttons i press).
    Went down to Richersounds on saturday and bought the multiregion E500,(thanks for the heads up on that Rob20) very happy with it :)