Problem with HD and Marantz VP12 S3

D

darrylp

Hi

Installed my new projector today and immediately it’s brilliant!!!

Unfortunately I've hit a major snag and wonder if anybody can please help?
I cannot get an HD picture and have tried two different makes of HD digital tuners.
The projector has been set to auto detect and I've tried both Component 1 and Component 2 inputs and neither a 576p nor a 1080i in fact nothing at all.
The message on the screen is “Out of range”.

All is fine and great but ironically the reason I upgraded from a Sony VPL-VW10HT to the Marantz was because of the anticipated HD picture quality improvement.

If anybody can help (the S3 has only just been released here and the Marantz distributor is experimenting on the weekend) I'll be very grateful.
Thanks very much.

Regards
Darryl

:rolleyes:

I don't know your PJ but if it's like the new Sim2's you need to go into the input menu and set say component input one to 32KHz
or progressive.
The auto detect will only detect signals it can handle, not ones that come up as out of range.
I'm sure some of the S3 guys will chip in.
Happy viewing.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

You're possibly/probably correct but there's nothing in the User manual as to how to correct this so hopefully sombody will help.

Darryl

We're not aware of that and a friend is using the same setup as I have with no problem.
I have a HD STB with DVI arriving early next week and hopefully a cable I've ordered from the USA will be here towards the end of next week so I can try it.
I've also just ordered an A11; are you happy with yours?

Darryl

Yeah the DVI input was optimized for use with HD and component input is optimzed for DVD.

The A11 is stunning, but be advised at present i-link dosent work and the menus are slow and it has a little issue with the faroudja chipset(macroblocking as its been nicked named. it is in fact just the NR on the chipset maxed out)

The good news is that all these issues will be fixed in new firmware. The menu speed is now the same as the 2900 and the layer change is now none exsistant.(according to kriss deering who has the beta of the new firmware)

The picture as it is, is simply stunning. Can make your jaw drop at times. I have compared to the 868 and id still go with the denon, its worth it

Hmmm. I'm very tempted with the A11 but just not sure I'll see £1200 worth of improvement over my Tosh SD900 (which is also jaw dropping btw on both my S3 and Pio 504HDE plasma. Sometimes I just sit there mouth wide open ignoring the film and saying how amazing the picture looks :) ).

A bit more convincing me thinks before I spend the upgrade cost.

How many more times you gonna say that,

I have the 9500e and the denon is an improvment for sure

OOps. How did that happen. When I read my post it was only there once. I'll try and delete the multiples now.

OK, I'll start looking for best price now :)

Yeah, but it's finding somewhere that will do a home demo. Not interested in trying it out in a shop on their kit. Wanna do a direct comparison before spending that amount of dosh.

How does :

"macroblocking as its been nicked named. it is in fact just the NR on the chipset maxed out"

manifest itself and should I buy one now or wait?
Any more ideas on my projector problem?
Darryl

the denon produces an incredibly sharp image, so with the NR turned up it creates a kinda blocking on some discs that have bad decoding issues. Its not unwatchable and many dont realy see it, as said depends on the disc.

as dvds players are getting better and better there starting to show the limitations of the format.

some projectors with the same faroudja chipset will produce the same problem if the NR is maxed out. on the PJ the option is user adjustable, on the A11 its firmware controlled.

i must say toy story 2 looks like its been played at an higher res with the A11, the picture is that good, and combined with the s3, you lucky lads will be in cinema heaven

gandley

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.

I guess I may as well just give you my credit card and send you on a spending spree. It feels like you are spending my money for me.

Resist. Resist. Resist. Get thee behind me {Denon A11 urges}...:D

Hehe

its like that film waterboy, I can just hear your wifes sayin

i dont want you ever talkin on them forums with gandley, HES THE DEVIL:devil:

Plz dont just take my word for it, some are more than happy with pio 868, i just prefer the image the denon gives and for my first denon dvd player im quite impressed bar a few niggles as stated.

Check out the home cinema choice review for extra info

At present its the current issue in shops so is not on there website yet.

but to quote the articale

"Put simply, this denon helps establish a new yardstick for sound and picture replay"

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom