Problem with Games crashing!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by AML, Apr 21, 2007.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Hey guys. Recently a lot of my games have been crashing in that they just stop/freeze and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work.

I have to reset the PC. This mainly happens with FPS like Rainbow 6 Vegas and Stalker.

It hasnt happened so much with RTS like C&C3 or Supreme Commander.

However I have also been geting blue screens of death. (on C&C, Stalker and R6)

The only major hardware changes recently have been adding a new SATA HDD. Other than that nothing since I built this PC.

Its really doing my nut in because I cant enjoy many of my games. They just feeze up and I have to restart the PC.

Should I try re-instaling windows?

Hardware wise, its an Opteron 165 runing at 2.6ghz (OC'd), 2gb Corsair Ram, a Galaxy 7900GT (not OC'd) and an ASUS A8n-SLI mobo.

my 2 instaled HDDs are a 74gb WD Raptor and a Hitachi 350gb HDD.

Other than the crasing I also get a lot of artefacting. Textures suddenly change colour, or the tectures suddenly "spike".

My current set up isnt really that old, but could it be that the GPU is faulty or overheating?

Cheers. :lease:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Yeah, I would try a fresh install, then run a a benchmarking program on graphics (3d Mark) and also something like Sisoft to test CPU/RAM. POssibly return your CPU to normal to rule that out too.

If the graphics are artifacting then I would suspect the graphics card.

Also, what are you getting in the blue screen? Usually the first line will tell you what exe or dll is causing the problem, could be worth searchin on the net for any related info, or better post a screen dump up to look at.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Ill try a reinstal of windows, but I would rather not have to do that.

Its such a pain. :rolleyes: