1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with DVD32R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Pooley, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my DVD32R and I'd be really grateful if anyone could help.

After watching a DVD, my friend switched the DVD32R into standby. When I went to switch the player back on and open the door, the unit didn't seem to want to come out of standby. The display did not light up and the door did not open. I managed to get the DVD out by moving the drawer by hand whilst the player was switched off and unplugged. However, everytime I try to switch the player on, the display remains blank, and none of the buttons work. Sometimes, the IR LED will start to blink, sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas? Or has the unit developed a fault?

Cheers,
    Pooley.

2. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

Left unit unplugged overnight, when I switched it on this morning it works as normal!

Glitch in the system.....???

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Check the ventilation, it might be getting too hot?

Fingers crossed on the glitch theory....

4. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's still playing up. Worked fine for ages, but then I had to switch the unit off as I was away for a few days. When I switched it on when I returned, the unit refused to come on. Switched it off, waited a few seconds, then switched it back on again and it came on fine. Worked okay then until tonight when I accidentally switched it off when moving it. It wouldn't switch on again and is still off now.

The only thing that happens when you turn it on is a line of dots appears very faintly on the bottom of the display.

Anyone with any idea?

Pooley.

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    This is beginning to sound very familiar, with similar reports recently, I think a trip to IAG service might be on the cards.....
    I am a bit worried about ever turning our unit off now........ The fault does sound heat related, hopefully just a dry joint somewhere, anyone at IAG know of a particular area likely to suffer this fate?

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember Gordon's wise words, nearly every DVD32R went down. Nothing terrible, one month to Huntigdon (or wherever IAG is located) and it will be solved, (apart ... if you are mlinhares)
    I am amongst very few ones where it still works fine . . .knock knock knock...

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yer but that was all to do with transport damaged loaders and flexifoils, this sounds like something time/heat related and I hate ticking timebombs.....Our's also works fine which is why I worry......(we never turn ours off!!!)....

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GrahamMG,
    I allways turn mine off, but will start keeping it on standby if it helps.

9. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps,

It's just frustrating. I kind of expect quality goods like this to work forever and a day. My previous CD player (Marantz CD80) I've had for about 12+ years and it's never ever gone faulty. I've had the DVD32R for about 4 months and it's gone faulty, and since I bought it secondhand from a shop, it's out of warranty with them. Having read other posts on this forum, I'm also not entirely happy that this unit will be reliable in the future.

Which is such as shame, as when it's working it's a great player. It's also a British design which is great in this day and age.

On the phone to Barry it is then!

10. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry thinks it's either flash or a control microprocessor. In any case it's got to go back. Just awaiting the dealer I bought it off to tell me if it's covered by their warranty or not, fingers crossed!

Just put my old Pioneer DV-S737 back in the stand so at least I can have some music. :thumbsup: It doesn't sound as good though. :thumbsdow

11. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Its that old 'I paid £xxx and it should last a lifetime'. Unfortunately, it just isnt the case with any hand built product.

If you dont service you McLaren F1 or Ferrari at the appropriate service schedules, it will fail.

As mentioned many times the DVD32R has many moving parts and a very heavy mass loaded transport.

Yes, it is difficult, you've spent £xxx and feel bad if it fails, but I get more annoyed when a cheap DVD player fails becuase, if out of warranty, I have no hope in hell of getting it repaired or serviced. It is designed to be thrown away

Thats the point I am trying to make. Even though TMA has all but gone, there is still an excellent service back-up. Something to be appluaded?

Gis a job.... :devil:

12. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am not liking all this banter/talk of the DVD32R failing. I have powered down(in fact, actually unplugged) my DVD32R as I am in the midst of renovating my (small) home... one of the upgrades being installing a front projector.

I will be might disappointed should the DVD32R not power up when it is reconnected. That said, I will not be as disappointed as I will be in the event that the bloddy VSM2048 should not work with my new FP. Let's hope that neither of these event occur.

Cheers,

Joel

13. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Roversd1,

I can only confirm your point here.

When my Tag unit returned in perfect shape from repairs, I sent them an email with the following words:
    "I think IAG proved service is at the same level as it used to be, which is a big compliment to IAG."
    It really is!

So, I agree it is never satifying when something brakes down, especially if you are extreemly proud of it and it did cost you a lot. But it's even more important that you have the reassuring thought it can be fixed. This is a feeling I always had with Tag, and now also with IAG.

Good luck with finding that job!

14. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think you missed my point here. My problem was that I'd only had the DVD32R about four months before it failed. I agree that it's a hand built unit that needs TLC every so often, but if I have to have it "serviced" every year or two, it's gonna be expensive. Not to mention that I will be without the unit for four to six weeks everytime it's in the garage.

Okay, it was a 2nd-hand DVD32R, but I did buy it from a very reputable shop, and they'd had it fully services by IAG before I bought it. The door mech was upgraded and all the other bits, such as latest firmware, were done at the same time. It then lasted fours months before failure. Hopefully this is a one-off, and when I get the unit back I'm hoping that the problem will be fixed and that'll be the end of the saga. However, I will always worry that the unit may fail everytime I need to turn it off.

I've got to say though that Barry is an incredibly knowledgeable chap, and he gives me the utmost confidence that the problem will be fixed. I guess we will have to put up with the "quirks" of owning such a fantastic DVD and CD spinner. Watched Star Wars Episode 2 last night on the Pioneer (DVD32R stand-in), sound was pretty similar, but the picture quality through the Pioneer wasn't a patch on the DVD32R. Not even close. I miss it already. :(

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Guys.

Although I would be the first to normally stick up for TAG gear, I don't agree with all that is being said here. The DVD32R should be perfectly reliable, there is no reason why it shouldn't be, good engineering and design dicate that. The fact that a great many of these wonderful players have had well documented failures in a few key areas (and a new area seems to be the micro processor issue discussed here) can only mean that the design wasn't all it should have been (the door), components used were a bit too fragile (the original loader mech), faulty component manufacture (the flexi foil) and the latest micro processor gremlin (age?) and this should not be happening on a £5k player.
    Now before you all boil me in oil I have to say that when it is working it is still the player to beat on picture and certianly on CD sound/replay and I sincerely hope that IAG service live up to the standards TAG set in this area and many of the design/engineering cockups have been largely sorted now but that doesn't make it any easier for a bloke (or lady) that has spent £5k on the highest quality DVD transport when it don't switch on/work properly.

DVD players from Meridian/Arcam are no less reliable in our experience it has to be said but accepting that just because they are "British" isn't really doing the British industry any favours, if people don't complain and make a fuss things won't improve.

Buying a DVD player that needs its oil changed every 6000 miles isn't good for sales :lesson:

Great player certianly, bomb proof build and reliability no.......and I do get genuinely sad when I hear of another DVD32R failure but being the honest type I can't agree with some statements above.

16. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said GrahamMG.

The point here is that the DVD32R has had several problems which happily TMA/IAG have addressed and fixed. Albeit at some cost to the customer.

As long as this continues to happen, then I'm happy and I'd imagine most others will be as well. This is a level of service that must be considered to be among the best in the industry.

What does need to improve is the number of staff available on the IAG TMA helpdesk. Whilst Barry is undoubtably great, there is only Barry available. When he's away the IAG TMA helpdesk is effectively closed until he returns. This doesn't fill me with confidence on support for the next few years. This is up to IAG to resolve once they decide on the future for the TMA/Audiolab brand. They also need to improve the turnaround time, as the current waiting time of six weeks is far too long.

If only Ron Dennis had decided not to pull his money from TMA..... Or have I got this wrong?!?! :rolleyes:

Still haven't heard from my dealer on whether this repair is covered by the recent TMA service that my DVD32R had. Anyone know how long TMA warranty their products after a service?

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Pooley.

I'd echo the statement about Barry, thing is they had Mark as well but we all know what happened to him.....immediately before Barry went on holiday :suicide:
    Being businessy for a moment I'll assume that turnover of IAG/TAG gear won't support more people and service suffers, less people buy the gear etc.......

Ron Dennis and co did indeed pull the plug on anything not connected with motor sport.......... IAG tend to leave businesses alone as long as they turn a profit........

If the DVD32R had recently been in for service and the fault has re-appeared shortly afterwards then I'd say it was under warrenty from a sale of goods point of view......

18. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmm, where are these folks that cloned that sheep a few years ago? Perhaps time for making some more Barrys.....

(On the other hand perhaps one Barry is all the world can handle) :D

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Theo.
    I think clones would be OK as long as they all shared the same salary........... ;)

20. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well well, now you really sound as a Manager. :D
    (although it's an interesting idea, looking at my budget for 2005)

21. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    And he gets all that extra money on bets... ts ts ts . . . where are the fairness and justice today ? :)

22. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pay £100 odd quid a year to the BBC, that definitely isnt as reliable as a DVD32R....

23. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeh, yeh, yeh, that's what they all say! :D :D :devil:

24. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Here you'd get it for free as unemployed.
    (This is the only argument they still have calling themselves "social state" after taking all other benefits away.)

Actually, on second thought, it is not such a bad idea at all, I might consider the option soon ...

25. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Friday, and still no call from the dealer on whether the DVD32R is under warranty. And it still doesn't work (tried it last night, ever hopeful). So, still stuck with the Pioneer.

Just had a load of SPM interconnects and speaker cable delivered from an eBay purchase. So I can't even hear that at it's best until the DVD32R is fixed. It's like Christmas Eve, when you know you have presents but can't open them yet!

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Blimey, you have a long memory..I did enjoy spending it though......

A darn sight cheaper though :rotfl: Just how many times do you actually see a blank screen or a silent radio station on the BBC then? The DVD32R is a mere toy compared with the complexities of the BBC and being semi serious for a minute I'd say the BBC was more reliable as we tend to fix our problems without having to return the TV/Radio for 6-8 weeks...... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    "Budget" what's a budget, I haven't had one of those for years, I have to make it before I can spend it......... :eek:

28. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Graham,

Regarding picture performance, I've been curious about how does the DVD32R stand up to these new gen DVD players like Arcam DV27A / 29 or Denon 3910. Do you think that the TAG still has the edge ? I own a Sim2 Domino 20H PJ and feel that I might get better results using the digital video output of one of these players, but, OTH, it might be just MKT garbage to make you feel the need for the change.

By the way, I can't see the below black bar on the pluge pattern of the DVD32R using the component output, but see it with CVBS or S-Video. Can anyone explain this?

NS

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Nuno.

It is as good or better on video performance, CD performance is still way above these £1k area players....
    The cheaper players might well benefit from a DVI (or HDMI) connection as their analogue stages will almost certianly be inferior to the DVD32R, but you do open up a new world of connection difficulties getting units to talk to each other in pursuit of digital nirvana....... You might get the same video performance but sound is entirely a different thing.......

I'm not sure what you mean about the pluge bars displayed are you talking picture offset or simply that they are not there?

30. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm trying to stay away from the supposed concept that a Video Digital connection is much better than analogue, but it's a bit difficult. I'd never exchange a DVD32R for a Denon or even an Arcam, I'm just trying to maximize the TAG's picture performance (an iScanHD, maybe??) which I believe it might be close to what the DVD media can do. If a Denon 3910 or an Arcam DV29 display a better picture using a totally digital path, well, thats life... You can't beat them all!

On the 1st pluge setup pattern available on the DVD32R, if I use the component output of the TAG, I can't see the below black bar. Using it's SVid or composite output, the bar is there...I can't figure out why... Could it be a cable problem?

NS