Problem with DV27A RGB output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NicolasB, Mar 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Any suggestions as to what I should do with this weird problem? Description of symptoms:

If I connect my main scart cable (call it "cable A") from the player SCART to the TV's RGB-enabled scart socket, the TV gets a fairly good picture - but what it's displaying is the composite signal, not the RGB one. If I leave cable A connected to the same input on the TV, but move the other end from the DV27A to my V1 Sky+ box, the TV then correctly switches to RGB mode as soon as the Sky+ box is switched on, so there doesn't appear to be any problem with the cable or the TV.

What's really odd is what happens if I attach a second scart cable ("cable B") from the DV27A to the input scart socket on the sky+ box. The sky+ box correctly passes through the signal to the TV - only now, the television recognises it as RGB and switches to RGB mode. Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem, because, set up like that, there's some corruption to the picture. It's not very easy to describe, but it's a bit like watching a slightly worn VHS tape - there's a basically very good picture underneath, but there are sporadic lines of horizontal noise/corruption, especially around very bright parts of the picture like subtitles. It comes and goes a bit, unpredictably.

Clearly the TV is able to switch to RGB mode correctly when being fed from the Sky+ box. I don't think it's a cable problem. (I've tried replacing cable B with another SCART cable and there's no difference - and I also don't see that sort of noise/interference when watching RGB produced by the Sky+ box and going through cable A). So it looks as though there are possibly two problems with the DV27A scart output: 1) The RGB output isn't recognisable as RGB by the television without assistance from the sky+ box, and 2) the RGB signal (when I can actually view it) appears to be corrupt.

So far as I can tell there are no problems with either composite or S-video output.

Advice from Arcam thus far is to make sure that the video output is set to "RGB" in the player menu, which it is. (The only other option is "component" which messes all the colours up).

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Nick

Any chance that there is a 'weak' sync signal on the G from the arcam that is out of spec for the TV scart but within spec for the sky+ input and then 'boosted' by the loop through on the sky+ ?

Just a thought ... not sure what you could do other than get the player to dealer/arcam to try or borrow another player to make sure ?

Jon

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    That's possible. Mind you, I didn't get the same problem with my old DV27. Would that also account for the sometimes-dodgy picture quality?

More importantly, is there anything that can be done about it? If the DV27A were still in production I might demand a replacement player, but it's unlikely that any replacement could be found now. :(