problem with Denon AVR x4300

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Had this receiver since July 2017 and generally been happy with it. The denon is used to power front and rear heights, with my power amp powering the rest of the speakers.
I have just upgraded my TV to an LG Oled, although not sure if this has any bearing on the issues I am facing.
The receiver switches input to phono when watching via TV screen or Projector. It took me a while to figure out what happens when the picture and sound disappears, it does this a couple of times over an evening. It was doing this before I got the new TV. It has also switched itself off a couple of times over the weekend.
I noticed that the atmos channels were not outputting any sound even on a atmos UHD. The test tone played ok, but that was all. Changing from atmos to dts x brought the heights to life. I tested this by just having a movie GOTG2 playing via the heights and sub.
I'm not sure if it is passing through HDR content from my samsung UHD player as I don't get a HDR flag on the TV. In fact I did get an error once stating the TV is not compatible and content will be displayed in 1080p. (TV is OLED65E8 which is)
I spoke with denon today and they suggested doing a factory reset and then updating the FW and loading back my settings.
The problem is my unit just refuses to factory reset - after many attempts the FW is still the same as before - the current version.
I have tried what denon suggested - up&down cursors and power till the display flashes then release.
Also tried info & back and power, but this did not reset to factory.
Denon suggested that if it does not go back to factory state it is faulty and needs repairing.
Has anyone had similar issues and was there a resolution that did not involve sending off the receiver?
BTW HDMI control on the denon is off, just ARC for the TV

Thanks

Does sound a bit strange. This is the Factory Reset procedure:-

Resetting factory settings AVR-X4300H

Give it another whirl but make sure you're holding down both the Info and Back buttons on the front panel at the same time when you power the unit on. Being small and fiddly it's easy to not quite have one pressed properly.

If it point blank refuses to reset then it will need to go off for repair.

tried that procedure - the unit "initialises" but then FW is still the same.
Looks like a visit to the workshop next week then.

tried that procedure - the unit "initialises" but then FW is still the same.
Looks like a visit to the workshop next week then.

That's the reset. :thumbsup:

The firmware won't roll back and will stay on the last one you updated to.

According to denon, the FW should be as it left factory......?
Still not sorted problems with random input change to phono, switching off, no HDR passthrough, and problem with atmos playback

According to denon, the FW should be as it left factory......?
Still not sorted problems with random input change to phono, switching off, no HDR passthrough, and problem with atmos playback

No, Denon are wrong about the FW. I've never had any AVR/Processor roll back the FW when it was reset.

It does sound as though it's got a fault so I think you'll need to send it off to be looked at.

i have solved the issue with HDR passthrough - for some reason the passthrough had defaulted to the lowest resolution of the connected monitors - my 1080p PJ. Once this was disabled I got the HDR flag on my new OLED.
Also, the skyQ video & audio dropouts seems to have been resolved, and the random switching to phono has only occurred once since I changed the ouput settings.
I will re-run speaker setup and check the atmos channels again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom