Problem With Denon 3910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem with the 3910:

I am running said unit with a Panasonic PW7 connected via HDMI. Until recently all has been well but now the connection seems to have developed a fault - a black, snow covered screen is displayed with the 'Denon' background flashing up for a split second and then disappearing. :(

Anyone seen this before? Just wondered if it was the HDMI socket on the PW7 or a fault with the Denon. I currently have no other HDMI equipment to test out the former.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Seems to have sorted itself. I unplugged it from the mains a few times and now it seems to work again. I'd still appreciate any comments on whether this is a 'known' issue though.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I've had it - I just unplugged the HDMI lead and plugged it back in - it's an odd one though.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Problem seems to have re-surfaced. Think I'm going to take the player back. This, coupled with the macro-blocking on the component analogue output, is just a little too much from a £700 DVD player :(

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    Shame. The macroblocking is a Faroudja chip problem and unfortunately Panasonic Plasma's are one of the worst for highlighting it.

6. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Jase, I'm wary of hijacking Rasczak's topic so feel free to reply via PM if it's more appropriate. As a 3910 owner too, I've only really noticed the macroblocking issue in one film (Layer Cake) so far via progressive component and for all I complained to my other half about it, she clearly didn't notice and didn't care apart from the fact that it cost the best part of a grand...

I'm looking at plasmas just now and the shortlist was down to the Panasonic PV500 or the Pioner XDE series. In Rasczak original comment he mentioned the macroblocking problem on analogue component and you replied that it's particularly obvious on Panasonic panels - is this just a problem with the component output or any output from the Faroudja chipset? I'd be hooking it up via HDMI and the thought of spending 2-4k on a plasma panel mostly to enjoy my DVDs for them to end up looking worse doesn't fill me with confidence!

Many thanks,

Colin

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    Hi Colin

It's on any output that uses the Faroudja chip for deinterlacing so would also be visible on the HDMI and DVI outputs as well as the Component Outputs. This is where demoing the equipment is essential. Some people can live with it or are completely oblivious to it whereas others may spot it straight away.

This test is worth a read as it mentions that it was only slightly noticeable on a couple of resolutions.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...on=search&articles=120#DenonDVD-3910 DVI/HDMI

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Colgate7110,

As I mentioned in my original post I am running a Denon 3910 with a Panasonic PW7. Via analogue component (progressive) output the picture is poor with macro-blocking visible in a wide range of scenes. This has never been a problem for me as I have always used the HDMI connection and, in addition, the Denon/PW7 is only a secondary setup anyway.

However bad the PS analogue component though the HDMI output (whether component or RGB) is excellent - absolutely flawless in performance. I trialled the Denon against the Arcam DV79, Pioneer 868 (which I couldn't get to work with a PW7 via HDMI) and a couple of budget decks (Panasonic S97). The Denon just had the edge over the Arcam IMHO.

I do recommend the AV qualities of the Denon 3910 via HDMI - it's just unfortunate I am having a few issues with it. I will certainly be exchanging it for another 3910 though...

9. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Rasczak/Jase,

Thanks for the detail. I was worrying for a while there that I'd bought a turkey after all and should have gone for the Arcam! Of course, everytime I put a DVD in the 3910 I can see why I bought it - the picture is just astounding. As for demoing the plasma before I buy Jase, don't worry - I practically moved into Sevenoaks before going home with my 3910/3805/Kef setup and expect my plasma experience to be no less over the top :)

Here's hoping you get your 3910 troubles resolved soon Rasczak (good to see you're going for another one and not jumping ship!) and apologies for dragging this one off topic.

Many thanks,

Colin

10. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do you guys know the firmware that you are running?

It might be worth double checking, just encase this is covered or solved in an update.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Just for the benefit of anyone else with this 'problem' I have managed to narrow it down to a slight incompatibility between screen and player. The problem occurs when a DVD is paused or stopped and the screen (PW7 plasma) is switched off. If the DVD player is left on when the PW7 is switched back on the flickering occurs. To stop it just cycle the PW7 on/off and all is fine again. :smashin:

12. chriskenny

chriskenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, just after some advice. Recently purchased the XDE and was contemplating the 3805 and 3910 machines. I wish it to run thru' HDMI and this is 99% of the time for DVD's only. Can you forsee any problems with this setup and if so what theymight be? And any alternatives would be appreciated? My speaker system is KEF5005. Thanks