Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problem with Denon 2900 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by neilalford, Jul 7, 2004.

1. neilalford

neilalford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought a Denon 2900 DVD player a few weeks and although I'm very happy with it, it does seem to be suffering from one fairly serious problem. It seems to have difficulty reading CD's at times, I can put in some CD's and there OK, others I put in and it wont read at all, sometimes reloading the CD gets it to work, other times it doesn't.

This problem seems to effect about 2/3rds of my CD's. However, this only seems to happen towards the end of the evening if I've been watching a DVD/listening to CD's for a few hours, so it seems like it could be a heat problem. The player does feel very warm but it is well ventilated (it's too big to fit in my equipment cabinet so it's actually stuck on top of it).

Anyone else ever come across this? I'm assuming it's a faulty player rather than a flaw with the playuer in general? Any suggestions before I go through the hassle of trying to get it exchanged/repaired?

2. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Neil, I purchased a 2900 a few weeks back and I've not experienced any problems (touch wood!) up to now with CD replay. The only problem I did find was one film which it refused to play....

Good luck
    Rob

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Had a 2900 and never suffered from this problem even though it would get quite hot. Looks you might have a faulty unit :(.

4. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a 2900 for about a week now and the only problem I have had was with the Eagles Hell freezes over DVD which would not play. I cleaned the disc and everything was OK after that. I have played Region 1 & 2 & 3 DVDs, DTS, and DD discs from each region, Cds, including DTS cd, SACD and DVD-A, DVD +RW produced on my Philips DVDR, and a JPEG pictures on a CD All play fine.

5. RichieG

RichieG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Neil,

I had the same problem with my first 2900. DVD's were fine but it wouldn't allways load CD's. In the end I had the machine swapped by my dealer (Haydon labs reckoned the laser was misaligned).

No problems with second machine (apart from DTS freezing issues fixed with firmware patch).

Richard

6. jzzzk

jzzzk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had a similar problem with my 2900 when I first got it in Feb 04. After a few hours of playing it would freeze during some DVDs. I think it may be some kind of overheating problem. Denon tech support blamed the multi-region mod! It seems to have sorted itself out now and hasn't given me any problems for the last few months.

-Jeff.