1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with composite cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Robstar, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Robstar

Robstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchased a SCART -> RCA (three phono connectors)video cable. I am trying to connect my video upto a video capture card. Unfortunately, the video is not outputting anything over that cable. I know this for sure because if I connect the VCR to a TV using this cable, the TV does not display anything. Am I doing something completely wrong here? The video is a Sony SLV-E700 and the TV is a Sony KV32-WS4. Neither of them are cutting edge nowadays, but surely this should work shouldn't it?

TIA

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It sounds as though the scart is not configured to output.If you look at scart adaptors they usually have a selectable mode switch that switches between in and out.Hope thats clear as my head certainly isn't.

3. Robstar

Robstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry to hear about your head. ;) But, the cable doesn't have any selectors on it. It's a Monster Cable, FYI.

TIA

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It *may* be the wrong cable for your application then.Sorry :(

5. Robstar

Robstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my ignorance here, but what do you mean it *may* be the wrong cable? If I want to do a composite connection, then I need a SCART at one end and a phono at the other, don't I? This cable has video, Audio L and Audio R. I'm not using the audio part of the cable, just the video. What other cable could I need instead?

TIA

6. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Basically, the problem might be that the cable can only carry the signal one way (ie. from the phono end to the scart) so cannot output the signal.

A switched cable allows the direction of the signal to change by connecting to certain pins in the scart lead. An example is the HCSL5 here (you can see the switch on the back of the scart plug):

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=203

If you are sure that you have the right cable for the job, it could be that the scart connection at the VCR end doesnt output a signal so try a different one on the back that outputs (if that is possible).

Otherwise, it could be a faulty lead.

7. Robstar

Robstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By jove, I think you're right! :) Under closer inspection, the box that it came in has a '3 RCA -> SCART' label on it. What I want is a SCART -> RCA lead. Coming from an IT background I would expect a cable to be bi-directional. Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks very much for your help.