Problem with center channel on my 2808 with ps3

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by reza21, Jan 14, 2008.

1. reza21

reza21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my PS3 hooke up to my AVR 2808 via HDMI. I get a Multi Channel In on the display which i guess is normall due to the uncompressed PCM but the sound doesnt come from my center channel. it comes from the front LT and RT also the back surround speakers. Any one have this type of problem

2. roba666

roba666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Obvious answers first, loose connection, centre volume turned down by mistake, do you get centre channel from other sources, is the incoming centre indicator signal lighting up?

R

3. reza21

reza21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the center channel works fine when i'm watching cable. When the reciever shows Dolby Digital or Pro Logic II the center channel provides the main output. Only when the PS3 is hooked up and it says multi channel in is when the center channel doesnt work. When i'm playing a blu ray disc and i switch to bitstream on the ps3, the BD disc will play in DTS Surround or Dolby Digital and the sound will come from the center channel. But during games, it will say multi channel in and no sound from center channel

4. jtuinenburg

jtuinenburg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have an ps3 linked via HDMI to a Denon AVR-4308. Although my amplifier is different from yours I have the same "problem". Because the ps3 has all it's 7.1 one channels "flagged" for use (open) during game play (if the game uses them or not, so you will only get sound from the center channel if it is in the game source (i.e. an multichannel game) )or playing mp3's and so on you cannot use DPL II maybe you must have an 7.1 speaker configuration and use DPL IIx. Or maybe switch the ps3 to 5.1 (didn't try that myself) channel output. On my amp the 5 channel stereo option is the only option that works when the ps3 sends multichannel output to the amp and uses only the right and lef front speakers.
    Excuse me for my horrible English and spelling mistakes but I'm very tired and Dutch.:)

5. reza21

reza21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5.1 speaker setup and 5.1 is checked under the auto setting for PS3 hooked up with HDMI. But no matter what I am doing, (i.e. playing games or listening to music), the sound does not come from my center channel. Also I cannot change the output from multi channel In by pressing the standard button on my remote. It is very frustating because i just upgraded my center channel from a definitive technology pro center 1000 to a CLR 2002 and i cannot use it with my PS3. The only thing I have noticed is that i bought the game Rockband and there is an option to select dolby digital on the game. When I do that, the reciever switches from Multi Channel In to Dolby Digital and the center channel starts working. I dont know if there is anything i can do to make the center channel work without hooking up an optical cable.

6. jtuinenburg

jtuinenburg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you switch to 5 channel stereo with the "simu" button? That way I can use the denon own multi channel programs like "5 channel stereo" which works very nice. I also cannot use the programs under the std button like DPLII/DTS Neo6. But again the "5 channel stereo" option works fine.
    Nice center btw.

7. reza21

reza21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont remeber if i tried to use the simulation or not. I just dont want to lose any sound quality. I think i would if I did that. But I can give it a try when I get home. The center channel is really nice. A much better sound from the CLR rather than the pro center 1000. But i wish i could use it uncompressed with the Multi Channel In.

8. jtuinenburg

jtuinenburg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is not your amp but the ps3 it just doesn't send audio to your center channel. It is the same with MP3's then the ps3 sends audio only to the right and left fronts and the other channels get an empty stream (so the amplifier thinks it is multichannel but it just isn't). The only game that I have and uses uncompressed sound over multiple channels is CM Dirt. Mind you, I only have 2 games.

9. reza21

reza21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went home and tried the simulation button and that worked. I had it on 5 channel stereo and the center channel was blasting away. But my only concern is am I getting the same quality with the 5 Channel Stereo as I would get if i left it on Multi Channel In. Is 5 channel stereo still coming in uncompressed because on my Denon display, the PCM box is still displayed as well as the Digital box.

10. ChadSpeed

ChadSpeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently am having the same issue with my PS3 and my HK AVR230. I have center channel sound during the XMB and in movies, but only in the intros of games and not during gameplay. But I did have it before today. I don't know what happened. I use a HDMI for the picture only so I have an optical directly to the receiver. Since the receiver is getting a Dolby Digital signal it is impossible for me to change the sound, like to 5ch stereo, which would be a non option for games like COD4. I called Sony, they said try another optical cable and reset all option to default. Still no dice I will have to call them back, it one hell of a annoying problem.:mad:

11. timpalimpa

timpalimpa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In the latest firmware upgrade 2.71 for the PS3 the problem seems fixed and my ps3 actually outputs stereo mp3s as stereo without the muted surround channels.