Problem with Canon MD 235 firewire.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by TYNE-MAG, May 28, 2008.

1. TYNE-MAG

TYNE-MAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've bought a firewire cable 4 - 6 pin and it's not working. Just doesnt recognise the device.

I plugged it into the firewire on my computer and it doesnt work. I have rung Canon and they said i should try and update my firewire card, but i'm not sure what mine is! and suspect that it would be a waste of time anyhow.

Should i bust out and buy a budget firewire card? Anyone got any experience of fixing a problem such as this?

Thanks for your time.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    What software are you using to capture/edit? And the capture software doesn't see the camcorder?
    You have the camcorder on in "play" mode, right?

3. TYNE-MAG

TYNE-MAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i have it on play. I also didnt mention that it already works with the standard three pin connector you get with the 2 video and an audio wire.

The point of my enquiry is to get the firewire cable working you see. I want to see whether it has a better picture ultimately.

Plus i notice when i plug in my firewire cable sound comes out of the camera itself, where as when i plugged it in with the other cables there was none. Which suggests to me that firewire doesn't transfer sound. Would that be true?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Firewire will transfer both the audio and video.

Again, what software are you using on the PC to capture? You will only be able to transfer video over Firewire using an editing application.

5. TYNE-MAG

TYNE-MAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry i left that out! I have Cyberlink's Director and Producer which came with a plug in video capture device i bought for another camera, and i have Windows Movie Maker. I am using Win XP.

6. TYNE-MAG

TYNE-MAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the problem is the firewire port on my pc. Should be fixed soon. thanks.