1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with CA 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by avrookie, Aug 23, 2005.

1. avrookie

avrookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the CA 540R and noticed that no signal from the subwoofer pre-out. Luckily, dealer was willing to exchange a new one for me. However, after a few days I noticed there is no signal from the Right front speaker pre-out!!! Did anyone encounter the similar problem with this amp. or I'm the only unlucky guy??? Very disappointed and perhaps I should exchange for another brand!

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alphabet....where are you... any thoughts :D

3. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does seem like you are just unlucky. I have had my 540R for about 4 months without any problems.

You mention that there is no signal from the right front pre-out. Have you connected from the pre-outs to a power amplifier? Maybe a silly question as how else would you determine that there no sound from the pre-out, but I have to ask as people sometimes do wonderful things.

I suppose you have checked all the routine things, such as that the front speakers are configured on the unit(As either Large or Small and not ""none")

Could you give some more information, please. What is the 540R connected to and how(Interconnects, etc)

4. avrookie

avrookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear folks, thanks for the comments. In fact I connected the CA 540R thru pre out to my integrated tube amp. Unison research S2K AV in. The left channel is working but not the right. And I have tried all the pre out sockets from the CA 540R, all are working except the front right channel!

By the way, after I have connected to my tube amp. the signal is very weak and I have to turn the volume to 12 o'clock. Is it due to this is an integrated amp. instead of a power amp? Would it hurt my tube amp. by connecting like this? The only reason is I only have 1 pair of front speakers and I will use the tube amp for listening music and 540R for watching movie. Any other suggestion that I can achieve this purpose without hurting my tube amp?

Valuable professional advice pls! Thks!

5. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a daft idea or I may have lost the plot altogether and someone please correct me if so...

Your valve amp is an integrated amp as you say, so why not skip the CA all together and just connect straight from your CD player/source ?

Skinny

6. avrookie

avrookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I want to use the same pair of front speakers for both music and movie purposes.

Someone mentioned that speaker switch box could serve this purpose but what I learned is the switch box is for multi-speakers instead of multi-amp which is my case??

7. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does make sense why you require an AV processor and an integrated amplifier. Obviously the Unison Research S2K amp does not have DACs designed for decoding source from DVD.

Mind you your valve amp looks quite impressive.

I cannot offer professional advice as I have not tried this type of connection yet, although I do plan to play with bi-amping in the future. However every time I read about people connecting their AV receiver to an integrated amp, the recommendation was to turn the volume to 12 o clock on the integrated.

It does sound like the pre-out on right front is not working. I feel that your dealer should test it and if faulty replace it with unit that has been tested before you take delivery.

8. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does make sense why you require an AV processor and an integrated amplifier. Obviously the Unison Research S2K amp does not have DACs designed for decoding source from DVD.

I cannot offer professional advice as I have not tried this type of connection yet, although I do plan to play with bi-amping in the future. However every time I read about people connecting their AV receiver to an integrated amp, the recommendation was to turn the volume to 12 o clock on the integrated.

It does sound like the pre-out on right front is not working. I feel that your dealer should test it and if faulty replace it with unit that has been tested before you take delivery.

9. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0