1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with blacks on Cine-7...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kris, May 31, 2003.

1. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wrote earlier about my Cine-7 which had lost the ability to adjust contrast. Well they fixed it at the Barco Service Center as they missed it when it was on service and tubechange.
    But now when I got it back it has a new problem!
    When watching dark scenes it "flickers" alot. It is only visible in dask scenes, but VERY annoying!
    When they fixed the contrast thing they said it had something to do with the main high voltage part in the PJ.

Any clues?

I'm calling them monday but it would be great to hear some input on this...

//Kris

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is begining to sound like a Friday afternoon machine.

Open the projector up and listen carfully for an arching sound. Put up the internal pattern and check that the focus is not changing. I would suspect that either the Quadrupler,splitter or focus block are breaking down. but I would expect you to see noise in the bright whites too.

3. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, no noise in the whites or even in midbright pictures. Only all dark scenes...
    Couldn't it be something with the same thing they fixed when the contrast didn't work? As it has to do with blacks...

//Kris

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is this slowly rising and falling over a few seconds or a real flicker?

5. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its more like flicker on blacks and like the whole picture (when dark) becomes brighter for a second. Almost like a really bad autocontrast with flickers...

//Kris

6. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, now I have tested some things...

No strange sound from the PJ can be heard. The flickering is only on real dark scenes or if I turn down contrast and brightness totally. On a film like "Toy Story" it's not even visible, except for the black fades before the film.
    On the internal or genlocked pattern it's not visible, but when I turn on the PJ without any source connected it shows. If I then press "Adjust" its no longer visible in the black part of the menu.

Strange thing... I watched "Toy Story 2" as first film after service, then two days ago I watched "Donni Darko" and thats when I saw it...

//Kris

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  8. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They fixed something inside the power suply when the PJ was on service at the Barco Service Center. They said that the problem I had with no contrastcontrol was due to something in the Power supply since it holds a lot of other stuff...
    Does anyone know the price on a new power supply for a Cine-7?

Tim
    Our problems seems alike but if I have the internal pattern on I don't see the flickering, even if I turn down brightness and contrast (or each separatly...)
    Though I do see it with no source and the projector on without the menu or pattern.

BTW
    If anyone cracks this one without me having to send the projector to service (again) I'll send him/her a present!!! :D

//Kris

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Kris,
    The best way of highlighting the problem was a grey desktop wallpaper assuming you use a HCPC.
    It sounds remarkably like my problem.
    Kris have no fear Roland is your man he WILL fix it but he is a busy bloke:suicide:
    Hope you get it fixed soon:smashin:
    Tim.

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I know the candle effect but have only ever seen it on BG808s and BG/BD/BV1209s specifically.
    I've had an auwfull lot of 708 and cine 7 type projectors through my hands and never seen it in a 7" chasis.

Kris a few more things to try please and a bit more info.
    I can't rember how old your projector is or what age the tubes were. TI have seen some issues with some of the toshiba tubes fitted to these projectors where if they don't get enough use they can become noisey in the black areas. Mostly this will only affect one colour first, but eventually it will get all three. the worst cases have been art galleries and planitariums where the black level was set amazingly low.

Could you try the following and report back.
    Select an unused chanel or pull the leads from that source and look down the lens with your nose almost touching the front element. Is the picture completely black apart from a diagonal line at the top or bottom? Or do you see noise? Is the same on all colours?

Now do the same for
    1. A black bit of film.
    2.Using the pause button on the Barco remote.

11. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try this tonight! Thanks for the help!!

I'll post after that

//Kris

12. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, when I press pause on the remote or when the PJ is on with out any source, the blue tube still shines, alot...

Is it suppose to do that? seems kind of odd if it's trying to reproduce a total black image if one tube is on...

Can I adjust that with the G2? just produce a black image and turn the blue tube down?

//Kris

13. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have now looked more closely and it's defenitely coming only from the blue tube. If I look into the tubes the only one I see the "jitter" in is the blue one. Also I can se two diagonal lines displayed on the tubeface... It also looks more out of focus than the other two.
    This was with no source active.

The Barco technician wanted me to change the custom color settings but nothing changed the jitter.
    Any thoughts?

//Kris

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think your blue tube is on the way out, it should be covered by at 2 year warenty from Barco. but they can be a bit fussy because it has no marks and still give good brightness.

If you have the installation manual set the G2s using the LED's inside the projector ignore what is coming out the tube. If not send me a mail I'll dig out the relevant page for you, but on a C7 it is as follows
    Select G2 adjust from the serrvice menu
    Adjust the hidden G2 pots on the side of the projector with a plastic screwdriver (32Kv) untill the relevant led buried on the big circuit board under the green tube just go off. 1 led for each tube all leds are green.

Once those are set try the pause with and without a black video picture (ie source and no source) if I remember one of them should stop the flicker. High G2 setting will not cause a tube to flicker just to glow brighter.

15. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know they have changed the blue tube once. How will I know if the tube is newer than two years? The PJ is manufactured june 2000, but as I wrote the blue tube has been replaced once... For what reason I don't know...
    Do the tubes have markings that tell when they were manufactured or installed?

Seems a bit odd if the blue tube is on the way out as the PJ only has 2000hours and the blue tube has been replaced, so it has even lower hours...

Does the two year warranty really include replaced tubes or is it on the tubes that comes with the new PJ?

//Kris

16. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here's an update...

I adjusted the G2 and the jitter dissapeared. But I have a few questions:

- I cant find the LEDs so I know where the correct setting is. Now I've done it visually, looking in to the tube and turn the pot until the part outside the picture becomes "one" with the tube face.
    They are supposed to lit up when choosing the G2-adjustment, but where exactly? My PJ is mounted in the ceiling.

- When I turn the G2 down the tubes seem to go back a bit in brightness. Just like it had some kind of auto-G2. Is this normal? I can't get it totally black.

- In my manual that I got with the PJ it says to turn on ABL, but that is not an option I can get to in the G2-setting. Is this on a newer software?

- Is there something that can cause the G2 to suddenly loose its setting?

A lot of questions I know.

//kris