Problem with BK XLS200

rccarguy2

For that budget probably get the BK Monolith + or Monoprice 12" THX or P12-300SB-PR or Double Gem or P12-300SB

Get the best single sub you can.

rccarguy2

Nah, my SBU13 outclasses single SB12+ easily not just in output, but slam and depth, I doubt dual SB12+ would match the SBU13 in the bass quality...even though it'll flatten response having duals.

Buy two of these without telling your wife. They're tiny.

Jester1066

@rccarguy2 ~£500 would be my budget, and I'd still have to convince the missus it's a needed expense. ;)
At that price point and if I was in you position. New, its either an SB1000 Pro, PB1000 Pro (if you can get a good discount) or a BK12-300SB-PR.

The BK is interesting, as it's a sealed sub with a bottom mounted passive radiator (hence the "PR" bit). This makes it a kind of hybrid, behaving like both a sealed and ported sub:

If you haven't seen it. Here's AVF's own review of the sub:

Dobbyisfree

I've not measured it but, if I think back over the last year(ish), Aquaman is probably the film with the most LFE I've seen. The version I watched I felt that it had too much. At the time, I had subwoofers on high level connection to the fronts so had to turn the master volume down and boost centre channel to hear what they were saying (i.e. I could turn down the subs with the AVR).

Just saying this to point out that I'm not surprised this film, if any, would highlight a sub issue!

unoduo

You might find this thread on avforums of interest - especially if you have some skills with a soldering iron.

rccarguy2

Yeah aquaman was pretty intense, the tsuami scene and the kraken scene. Gave my SBU13 a good run, it was close to it's limits for loudest part.

That's why you want a good sub, if it was a lesser one probably would have damaged it.

ddlooping

Thank you all for the replies :)

@unoduo I checked the thread and it sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing.
I'll give BK a call when they're back from holiday (the 9th).
I don't live too far from them so with a bit of luck, and if it's the same fault, they might be able to repair it for not too much.

rccarguy2

Would be still useful in second system bedroom or pc rig bit get a bigger one 12"

rccarguy2

Can't recall your room size?

ddlooping

A bad photoshop of 2 photos, to get a wider angle.
living-room.jpg

You can barely see a door opening on the left (the door has been removed) and you can't see the sofa I'm sitting on (opposite the 60" TV).

rccarguy2

That's a big TV stand too big. Maybe wall mount the TV or get something like origin ii stand that isn't as wide meaning can fit a sub or two either side of the tv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-150212.png
    Screenshot_20210727-150212.png
    319.2 KB · Views: 22

Jester1066

A bad photoshop of 2 photos, to get a wider angle.
View attachment 1547254

You can barely see a door opening on the left (the door has been removed) and you can't see the sofa I'm sitting on (opposite the 60" TV).
Firstly lovely room mate 😊....

Should you decide your xls200 is destined for sub heaven. Whilst you talk to Tom @ BK ask him if he'd feel replacing it with a Double Gem would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Dobbyisfree

sub heaven

I'd like to go there. Is it a magical place where even the little white REL T Zeros with halos can achieve 20Hz at 110dB 0.1% distortion? :)

ddlooping

That's a big TV stand too big... can fit a sub or two either side of the tv
The TV unit is exactly the size it needs to be. ;)
I've already thought about maybe getting a second XLS200 (if I can get the faulty one repaired) and place it under the plant on the left (plenty of room for that).
The question is : are two XLS200 better than one 12" sub (like the SB-100Pro)?

Firstly lovely room mate 😊....
Should you decide your xls200 is destined for sub heaven. Whilst you talk to Tom @ BK ask him if he'd feel replacing it with a Double Gem would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Will do. ;)

ddlooping

P.S: I've installed REW on my PC yesterday and used its "Room Simulation" to figure out whether having two subs would make a noticeable difference for the better.
Unless I'm not using it properly, based on where I could put the subs and my room dimensions there wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

Dobbyisfree

I can't remember your budget but you could fit an SVS 3000 Micro under each plant... get one now and the next later on?

Dobbyisfree

P.S: I've installed REW on my PC yesterday and used its "Room Simulation" to figure out whether having two subs would make a noticeable difference for the better.
Unless I'm not using it properly, based on where I could put the subs and my room dimensions there wouldn't be that much of an improvement.

I assume you've based that on only one listening position though?

ddlooping

I can't remember your budget but you could fit an SVS 3000 Micro under each plant... get one now and the next later on?
My budget is ~£500, and would include the sale of the XLS200 if I can get it repaired fairly cheaply.

I assume you've based that on only one listening position though?
Yep, the mlp as that's where I normally seat.
We rarely watch movies with guests and my missus couldn't care less about the sound. :D

Jester1066

The question is : are two XLS200 better than one 12" sub (like the SB-100Pro)?
Imo the SB1000 Pro will be a considerable upgrade on the xls200. It's not much bigger in physical terms either.
Whether 2 xls200's will perform better is hard to say really. Not much help I know!
Assuming you don't keep/repair your xls200, personally I'd play "the long game"...

eg get a SB1000 Pro, then add another later.

Dolus

A couple of nights ago I was watching Aquaman and in certain scenes with high LFE the subwoofer was giving up.The sounds got all chewed up for a few seconds and then turned into a loud-ish buzz.
I can get rid of it either by switching the sub off, wait a couple of seconds and then back on, or by bypassing the high pass filter on the sub and setting it back to 120hz.
The problem obviously re-occurs when playing the same scenes and lowering the sub level is the only way not for it to happen.

TIA ;)

I had a similar problem with a BK Monolith sub a few years ago (2014), where it would make a strange noise but only on certain films and always at the same place in the film. This was isolated to just three films. As you have found turning the frequency control from LFE to 120Hz stopped this from happening. As there is typically nothing much above 80Hz in the LFE signal and the speakers were crossed over at 80Hz very little is lost, so seemed the simplest and cheapest fix.

In 2016 I added a 2nd Mono+ and this exhibited the same behaviour on the same three films in the same places. In 2018 I replaced the AVR and now neither Monos do this and are quite happy with the frequency control switched to LFE.

ddlooping

@Dollus
Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

As you have found turning the frequency control from LFE to 120Hz stopped this from happening.
In my case it doesn't stop it from happening if I don't change the sub gain or AVR sub output level.
It only stops the sub from buzzing until I replay the same or similarly LFE-ed scene. ;)

In 2016 I added a 2nd Mono+ and this exhibited the same behaviour on the same three films in the same places. In 2018 I replaced the AVR and now neither Monos do this and are quite happy with the frequency control switched to LFE.
Interesting.
Hopefully, the folks at BK will be able to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR