Problem with BK XLS200

ddlooping

Hey peeps :)

I've successfully used a BK XLS200 for at least 12 years (it's even older as I bought it second-hand) but I'm now encountering a problem.
A couple of nights ago I was watching Aquaman and in certain scenes with high LFE the subwoofer was giving up.
The sounds got all chewed up for a few seconds and then turned into a loud-ish buzz.

I've recreated the problem and made a short video of it....

You might need to turn the volume up to hear the buzz.

I can get rid of it either by switching the sub off, wait a couple of seconds and then back on, or by bypassing the high pass filter on the sub and setting it back to 120hz.
The problem obviously re-occurs when playing the same scenes and lowering the sub level is the only way not for it to happen.

• Am I asking too much of the sub, keeping in mind I've never encountered this issue even at fairly loud volumes?
  • Is it due to a fault, hopefully reparable?

TIA ;)

rccarguy2

What happens when you disconnect any cables? Move to another room, and or switch off all other appliances in the house?

ddlooping

@rccarguy2 The noise persists if I disconnect the cables (excluding the power one)
It's not ground noise, it happens when the LFE signal is either high in level or very low in frequency (or a combination of both). ;)

ddlooping

I'm basically wondering whether it's a limitation of the XLS200 that I never noticed because it's never been pushed that hard or if it's developed a (hopefully repairable) fault.

rccarguy2

Jester1066

and or switch off all other appliances in the house?
I'm.not sure this is the most practical bit of advice given on this forum 😂😂😂🤭😉

ddlooping

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. :)
However, I want to re-iterate that the problem is not random and/or when I switch the sub on, it happens when the sub is in use and triggered when the bass is either very low, loud or both.
I can easily trigger it by playing some scenes from Aquaman for example.
It plays fine for the rest of the movie or other programs.

I have an intermittent fault with my BK XLS200?

Every now and then it will rumble loudly when switched on. It is not the source, when I disconnect it there is no difference. Also the gain control makes no difference.

rccarguy2

Could be amp?

How's it like when you push driver in lightly can you feel rubbing

I'd say just buy new amp panel, labour cost probably half price of a new panel.

However may want to upgrade so I'd get it working again and get bigger badder subs

Jester1066

I'd say just buy new amp panel, labour cost probably half price of a new panel.
Given the OP has stated this:

I've successfully used a BK XLS200 for at least 12 years (it's even older as I bought it second-hand)

If it were me... I'd probably skip buying a new amp panel and use the money towards buyibg a more capable sub, that comes with a full warranty. If he wanted to stick with BK. He could get the larger XXLS400, a P12-300SB or the PR version of the same sub. SVS also have the SB & PB1000 Pro which has a 5yr warranty. Any of these subs will be more capable than an XLS200 (especially a broken/faulty one) 🤣😉

Edit: Even if he fixed it and sold it on to.upgrade. I doubt he'd get much more than the cost of the new amp panel considering the age of the sub. Add in that a new more capable BK is under £500, with the SVS's mentioned less than £700 new. I know where my money would be going 👍🏼

Last edited:

rccarguy2

I'd say upgrade to sb2000 /pb2000 pro or similar

Jester1066

Buying a new (or second-hand) sub is in the realm of possibilities.
@ddlooping I had one of these. Fantastic sub for the money, and will.not struggle at all...

Cracking value for money imo...

Or if you can accommodate its size and stretch the budget there's this from SVS:

or its smaller (and cheaper) sealed sibling:

Any of the subs above will be a considerable upgrade on your current xls 200 😊👍🏼

rccarguy2

I'd go get better than 1000 series otherwise treat yourself and if it's only slightly better you go meh.

Jester1066

I'd go get better than 1000 series otherwise treat yourself and if it's only slightly better you go meh.
You are kidding right? 🤣🤣🤣

A PB1000 (in particular) will be a massive upgrade in bass over the smaller xls200 imo. Crikey even a SB1000 will go deeper and has more punch...

Obviously a SVS PB/SB2000 or 3000 would be a bigger jump again, but it's also a bigger jump in cost!

Last edited:

ddlooping

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
I've looked into both the SB and PB1000 and the Monoprice Monolith 10 THX, and it looks like any of these three would do the job quite nicely.

Jester1066

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
I've looked into both the SB and PB1000 and the Monoprice Monolith 10 THX, and it looks like any of these three would do the job quite nicely.
Personal choice, but I'll never go back to a 10" sub again!....

Fwiw I've got dual SVS SB2000 Pro's in my setup. Granted they're no cheap (although I did get a sizeable discount for buying both at the same time). But boy are they good for their relative small cabinet size. Incidentally I use my system 50/50 music & movies.

More info.on the SVS range:

rccarguy2

Ideally you want duals..I'd step up the the monoprice thx 12"

Be aware ported subs are big.

Also debate of sealed versus ported, but depends on usage and room size also

rccarguy2

@rccarguy2 I can't afford dual subs unfortunately.
@Jester1066 12" might be overkill for my 12*12*7.5" room.

Dual SB2000 will work fine.
Duals mean response is flattened.

Wouldn't mind going duals but the sub I use is no longer in production (SVS SBU13) and SVS are pretty expensive nowadays.

rccarguy2

Well you could buy two crap subs lol

rccarguy2

Pb3000 is good price at the moment from av online, discount M grade then another 10%

Almost tempted myself to get duals, but they're a bit high (and personally prefer SB)

£1100 for single, £2160 for duals

Jester1066

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 8th December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Cabasse adds Apple AirPlay to Pearl Collection speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vestel launches TV remote app for 50 TV brands
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Velodyne shipping new MicroVee X compact subwoofer in UK