problem with B&Ws and REL High level connect

S

Shanky

Hi all,
I got my first real AV system now ROTEL 1057 receiver and BW 602s fronts and REL STORM 5 sub. I have a problem when I use the high level input to connect the REL. The Rotel goes into protection mode (shuts down) at around 60% of the volume. I read in there forum a statement indicating that B&Ws do not allow high level input to REL. is this true if so why ? Or is the REL having a defect?. Everything is fine with the LFE input though, I could pump as much as I want. Any help is welcome!
Thanks

AV Receiver ROTEL-RSX1057
B&W 602s3 monitors
Denon DVD 1920
REL Storm V
Monster TOS Interlink
Kimber 8TC speaker cable
Monster THX Ultra 1000 sub connect / REL high level input connector cable

I can't really help, but I would suggest double, & triple checking you've got the wires from your speaker terminals on your amp going to the Rel hi-level correct.

I used to have a Strata 5, & swore I had them the correct way, but did not :rolleyes: .

The other thing is if you are taking the hi-level feed from your B & W's try instead taking it straight from the amp terminals. In theory it's the same, but you never know.

T.

Timbo21 said:
I can't really help, but I would suggest double, & triple checking you've got the wires from your speaker terminals on your amp going to the Rel hi-level correct.

I used to have a Strata 5, & swore I had them the correct way, but did not :rolleyes: .

The other thing is if you are taking the hi-level feed from your B & W's try instead taking it straight from the amp terminals. In theory it's the same, but you never know.

T.
I have the tap from the amp output terminals. I was also in touch with REL support, they were very very quick in responding. After some initial suggestions from them and some testing, it looks like there could be an issue with the REL. I still have not taken it to the dealer. One thing I would like to try before that is to connect the Red and Yellow wires connected to Left and right speaker + terminal. I dont remember the exact connection now, I will check once I go home. After some browing at REL sight it looked like the high level connections for Left terminal and right terminal are swapped for Strata and Storm. this should not make a difference, but may be it is worth a try. In all does it make a real difference
thanks

If your Receiver/ amp is shutting down then the REL must be drawing power on the high level connections. It shouldn't! The receiver/amp should be protected by a high input impedance on the REL. The receiver/amp shouldn't even know the sub is connected.

Your wiring or the REL must be at fault. Most likely the former.

It makes little or no difference whether you use the terminals on the backs of the speakers for a sub high level connection. Or those on the receiver/amp. Opinions vary as to the sound quality benefits of either method.

Nimby said:
If your Receiver/ amp is shutting down then the REL must be drawing power on the high level connections. It shouldn't! The receiver/amp should be protected by a high input impedance on the REL. The receiver/amp shouldn't even know the sub is connected.

Your wiring or the REL must be at fault. Most likely the former.

It makes little or no difference whether you use the terminals on the backs of the speakers for a sub high level connection. Or those on the receiver/amp. Opinions vary as to the sound quality benefits of either method.

thanks Nimby,

I have checked the wiring it looks okay, Unless the wiring inside the connector itself is messed up, although this is factory made so very unlikely. There is one other issue, The LFE input control on REL has a range from 0 to 99, surprisingly I could not reduce it less than 55 when the hi-level cable is connected. It simply does not have any effect even I put it down to 0 (I could still hear the sound at approx 50s level). But using LFE connector only, I can control the LFE input over the entire range.

The REL support was very prompt, from the symptoms they seem to indicate the wiring or the sub itself. Now that I have checked the wiring, it looks like a sub issue

Shanky said:
The REL support was very prompt, from the symptoms they seem to indicate the wiring or the sub itself. Now that I have checked the wiring, it looks like a sub issue

Time to get the dealer involved, I think.

Nimby said:
Time to get the dealer involved, I think.
2nd that. My setup is very similar to your shanky but with an arcam amp. No troubles with high level here.

MattTheBeanster said:
2nd that. My setup is very similar to your shanky but with an arcam amp. No troubles with high level here.

It is a problem inside the speakon cable, The cable I got with the sub were improperly terminated. Luckily no hassles, Thankfully nothing got cooked.

Shanky said:
It is a problem inside the speakon cable, The cable I got with the sub were improperly terminated. Luckily no hassles, Thankfully nothing got cooked.

I must be psychic. ;) I deleted a recommendation to take just the cable to the dealer for checking.

Good result! These things should never happen with the most basic QC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom