1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with AVR100 dolby digital signal

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dothillbenny, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just wondered if anyone could help with a very annoying little problem?

I have an Arcam AVR100 which is working fine apart from the fact that a sudden sharp 'crack' comes through the speakers the moment a dolby digital signal is recognised. This is only very brief ( split second ) but is very loud and I am afraid it could be damaging my speakers. Initially I thought it was the source but it happens with my Xbox, Arcam dv88 and now more annoyingly with Sky+.

When spinning a disc the problem can be avoiding by keeping the volume low until the disc is loaded and soundtrack recognised. This is not practical with Sky+ since you continually change from prologic to dolby digital signals whilst channel hopping.

Any ideas? - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    dothillbenny

2. tverbeek

tverbeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

This is a problem I’m facing now for years on my previous AVR100 as well as on my current AVR200. At the moment your DVD disc contains a menu with PCM audio and at the moment the film starts in Dolby digital you will always get a very loud "crack" coming out of the speakers.

Unfortunately there is noting you can do about is as lowering the volume at start-up.

Good luck,

Twan

3. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for your reponse. Interesting that you've been unlucky enough to have had 2 arcam av amps that have this problem.

Have you sought advice form the retailer or did you buy secondhand like myself?
    I think I shall ring Arcam at some point and see what they say.

As you say when playing a disc you can wait until the disc is loaded and the soundtrack recognised before you crank up the volume though this is not practical when changing between the Sky movie channels.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and whether its a known fault or not.

4. malcers

malcers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR100 and I experienced this alarming problem quite often. I attributed it to an electrostatic discharge from one of my DVD players (Sony DVPCX850 200 multi changer i.e. rotating carousel ). I was going (dreckly) to dismantle that and put some earthing in, but as the problem occurs v. infrequently now, I'll probably leave it alone.
    malcers

5. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

your theory that it might be electrostatic discharge sounds plausible as that's exactly what it sounds like!

I rang Arcam and they couldn't suggest anything that might help - they said it would have to go in for repair probably costing £150. I can't justify that as I only paid £280 for it and besides it still functions. I'll just have to put up with it and save up for a AVR200 :mad:

cheers

6. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting this as well, I never had this problem with my Denon 2803,to be honest I am very dissapointed with the AVR300 so far, you can't bi-amp the centre speaker for starters.

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's not electrostatic discharge, but a small burst of unencoded Dolby Digital data getting through the DSP and to the DAC's before format detection routine has worked out that it's not PCM any more but Dolby Digital.

It's a bit of a tricky one as you have a race condition to contend with. Basically to avoid any clicks the DSP and host micro have to detect the format change and mute the output stage to hide the click. Unless this task is deterministic time wise in the sw architecture sometimes it will meets these demands (no click) and othertimes it won't (click!).

One trick that sometimes works in hiding up clicks on some AVP's is add 10ms of lipsync delay.

8. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have lip sync delay set up due to my scaler and plasma

Also when changing inputs, like swopping from DVD to SAT to CD, even with these sources switched off you can hear a click not quite a pop from the speakers,I'm sure this isn't right, it should be completely silent when you switch inouts, especially if they are off.Do you think there is something wrong with my AMP Stevesky ?

9. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that explanation Stevesky - very technical - you obviously know your stuff

I have yet to try your suggestion but I am amazed the Arcam AV amps suffer from this. I own an AVR100 - Arcam can maybe forgiven for letting this problem slip with their first AV amp but owners of the AVR300 seem to be suffering as well. This is a new model retailing at £1300 and I would be extremely disappointed if I had bought one from new. My old entry level Yamaha AV amp never had this problem!

cheers
    dothillbenny

10. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spoken to my AV dealer who also repair on site and they have confirmed this is not normal at all.They say it sounds like the mute circuitry has most likely failed which is what is giving the cracks and pops.

They have offerd to swop the unit for me tomorrow. Big thanks for that Creative Audio, top guys there.

Anyone who has this do not accpet it as a feature of Arcam kit, there is a fault so get it repaired or replaced.

11. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ScubaPro
    I'm assuming that this is Creative Audio in Shrewsbury you're talking about!
    Thats my local dealer, only 12 miles away. I wonder if they would be interested in taking I look at my AVR100 as you say they repair on site?
    I didn't purchase it from there and any warranty would have expired long ago so obviously there would be a charge but it might be cheaper than sending it back to Arcam - they quoted £150
    Do you know whether they could do firmware upgrades as am interested in getting the advanced bass management for my AVR?

12. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know to be honest dot, Yes it is the guys in Shrewsbury, top outfit, I can't recommend them enough

I'm sure they could help, give them a bell

13. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have the very same problem as you, have you got it fixed yet?
    My AVR 300 is only 2 weeks old, and it's had this problem from day 1.
    Any one else with this problem?
    Is this a known problem?