1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Asus A9800XT graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr.Rock, May 12, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the Asus A9800XT graphics card based on the ATI Radeon 9800 XT. My motherboard is the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

The problem is that Smart Doctor (the performance-monitoring software which came with my VGA card) keep reporting that there is a fault with one of the fans and the fan needs to be replaced. However, when I check the card, both fans are spinning fine.

Sometimes, Smart Doctor says there is not enough voltage coming from the motherboard for the VGA to function properly. If I leave Smart Doctor running for too long (a couple of minutes), my system crashes and I need to reboot. If I shutdown Smart Doctor, my system doesn't crash but then I don't have the Smart Doctor to control and protect the card's temperature, fan-speeds, etc.

How do I fix the problem? Is there a way I can increase the voltage (through the motherboard BIOS) going to my VGA card, if low voltage setting is the problem? What voltage do I need going through the AGP socket for the VGA card to function reliably? Or does anyone know of a recommended setting on Smart Doctor that can fix the problem?

Thanks.

2. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PS: I have emailed Asus of the problem, but no reply yet.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

Having recently seen my first 9800 and 9800 Pro cards I was surprised to see these took extra power from the computer PSU.

As the 9800XT is an even bigger beast I would expect it to do the same. Is there no power socket on it? Are you suing it?

Cheers
    Marc

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I do have the PSU connected to the VGA card, via a molex 4-pin HD power connector. That's what gets the VGA card's fans spinning. But it doesn't solve the "low voltage" problem.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Make sure the main power socket to the motherboard is firmly connected. I had exactly the same problem on an asus board and it turned out the plug had worked loose over time ( in the vertical position there is quite a lot of weight pulling on the plug ).

For the fans you may not have monitorable ones jjust deselecyt the monitoring for the ones that cause a problem ( might be worth verifying that the fans are actually working though). As long as the temps are healthy it doesn't matter that the fans are performing outside spec.hat rating ids the PSU ? The 9800xt uses a lot of juice and may be too much for a mediocre 300W PSU in a fairly well populated machine.

6. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mr.D,

My PSU is 600 W....so it should be more than enough to run the VGA card. ;)

I'll try your advice and pull by VGA card out, and put it back in again. I heard some complaints about the Asus motherboards not having any retention clips to hold the VGA card in place in the AGP sockets, so that could be the source of my problem.

Thanks.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Make sure you have the latest issue of Smart Doctor as well, I had a release that gave false readings on my 9600xt.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I meant the actual power connector to the motherboard had pulled out slightly on mine but its a good idea to reseat your cards also.

9. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for all your tips. It turned out that uninstalling Smart Doctor and installing the latest one fixed the problem. I never had that problem until when I did a Windows update, so that might've been incompatible with the version of SD I was using.